Cooking security - addition of a slam latch on FEC120 door?

Hi there

Just about to place my order for an FEC120 for a B&M setup. I will be leaving the smoker unattended (with remote monitoring of temp via an internet connection) in a kitchen that is part of a bar that will be "attended" for 6-7 hours after I leave. In theory there is no issue with this because no one is "supposed" to be in the kitchen, but I have to be sure. I am looking for a way to secure the door on the 120.

My thought is to put a lockable slam latch on the main smoker door. A slam latch is like the handle/latch that is on the access door for the combustion chamber. These can be of a lockable type. Has anyone done this, or do you know if CS do this mod?

I am aware I also have to be concerned with people fiddling with the controller ("I wonder what this button does?"), the non-locking hopper, and the electricity switch itself. That is another story.

Any thoughts, experience, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.
Original Post
What might be easier and probably less expensive... Security camera(s). Tell the employees, DON'T TOUCH and tell them there will be consequences, if you have a problem the following morning, check the cameras. Identify what happened and take appropriate action.
quote:
Originally posted by AndyJ:
What might be easier and probably less expensive... Security camera(s). Tell the employees, DON'T TOUCH and tell them there will be consequences, if you have a problem the following morning, check the cameras. Identify what happened and take appropriate action.


Fair enough, but at the moment I am focussed on a patron who may wander in unnoticed and decide to take a peek.
quote:
Originally posted by Qnorth:
I've never owned a pellet burner but in this case I would be worried if a fire occurred inside the smoker and no one could get in to douse it. Just my $.02


I intend to have online access to my smoker temp when I am out of the office! Via internet connection with a probe running under the door seal. I live close by.
quote:
Originally posted by longwayfromhome:

I intend to have online access to my smoker temp when I am out of the office! Via internet connection with a probe running under the door seal. I live close by.


You could also have a motion activated camera that alerts your smartphone. We have a RING device that works great & you can talk through it as well. For $30 a year all video feed is stored.
quote:
Originally posted by Joe M:
You could also have a motion activated camera that alerts your smartphone. We have a RING device that works great & you can talk through it as well. For $30 a year all video feed is stored.


Joe, what is the device you are talking about?

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×