Skip to main content

I pick up some of Costco Spare ribs. I trimmed them up to St Louis style and rubbed them and the trimmed tasters. I let them sit over night. Added a little chunk of apple and a little chunk of hickory. I threw it all in the 025 and set it for 250. The meat was a bit cold still so it took an easy 2hrs to reach 250. At 3hrs I pulled out the tasters and wrapped the ribs in foil and added a bit of warm apple juice. Some of the smaller tasters were like moist jerky and the larger pieces were just ok. I pulled the ribs out after an hour more and they were perfect. Well, ok not perfect, but dam good. I did slather them with a little BBQ sauce. All in all better than anything around here that you would pay for.

Things I would change:
1. Do not pull the rub on over night. It gave it a bit of a salty cured taste. Not bad with the sweet sauce, but I would prefer more pork flavor than cured flavor. In ribs 101, it does say to leave on overnight. I

2. This actually goes hand in hand with 1. Let meat come to room temperature. If you take out your ribs and rub them and let sit for 1/2 hour, they should be good. This will allow the cooker to get up to temp faster.

3. Pull tasters out early. I think, I am going to spent the extra few bucks or so and get the St louis cut ribs. the are a bit smaller but I believe you get three in a pack. I am not really in to cooking little pieces of meat with the ribs and having to worry about pulling them out early. Besides less work.

4. The last thing I would change is to use one type of wood. I think you get a better smoked flavor with one type of wood.

Don't forget to punch that hole in the foil. I use a small bread pan to catch the drippings.

I seem to have better results with the higher temp. 225 seem to dry out the ribs. Any thoughts?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I use apple and cherry wood on pork, hickory was little strong on pork says wiffey. 3 pack of babby backs work great IJUST LATHER WITH SBR AND RUB CUT IN HALF ONTO RIB RACK IN THE SMOKER COLD, SMOKE AT 225 3.5 HRS FOIL WITH LITTLE SBR SAUCE FOR ANOTHER HOUR. BEST EVER WON'T CHANGE A THING!!!!! DID KEEP RIBS AS HIGH IN SMOKER AS I COULD. LOV'EM ROGER
quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Smokin Larry:
1. Do not pull the rub on over night.
If you had a salt free rub you might be fine overnight. dunno. 1 hour or so before cook is fine with me.
quote:
2. Let meat come to room temperature. If you take out your ribs and rub them and let sit for 1/2 hour, they should be good. This will allow the cooker to get up to temp faster.
Dunno if meat temp (cool vs room temp) going into oven matters. Maybe the comp cooks know. They study the fine points.
quote:
3. Pull tasters out early. I think, I am going to spent the extra few bucks or so and get the St louis cut ribs. the are a bit smaller but I believe you get three in a pack. I am not really in to cooking little pieces of meat with the ribs and having to worry about pulling them out early. Besides less work.
The smaller 3 pack ribs at Costco are 'most likely' loinbacks (larger versions of famous babybacks) Spares or Loinbacks? I like them both equally. Spares are cheaper but a little more waste.

Note: I trim spares after I cook them - on cutting board prior to serving or on my plate. No fuss.
quote:
The last thing I would change is to use one type of wood. I think you get a better smoked flavor with one type of wood.
If you are looking for more intense smoke flavor stick more to the hickory. As long as you don't over-use it you will not be disappointed. IMO apple wood is a bit mild. I still use it in a mix, but only when I want a lighter smoke flavor. If I want good hearty smoke flavor it's hickory or pecan.
quote:
I seem to have better results with the higher temp. 225 seem to dry out the ribs. Any thoughts?
If you were to bell-curve suggested rib cook temps on this site 250* would be close to the peak of the curve. I use 240* but only cause my notes are set to it and I don't see need to change. Yet..

I like to cook'em dry then glaze'em with CS sauce over a hot grill for 3 minutes a side or so. Snowed in this w/e and glazed in 400* kitchen oven for 8 minutes. Almost as good.

I'm still learning.
I think one type of wood gives it a more distinct flavor. My opinion. I am going to use just fruit wood next time.
The out of the fridge meat really was a factor in the cooker getting up to temp. I am sure taking it out of the fridge and letting it get up to room (average room temp) will definitely make a difference. I haven't been doing a lot of ribs, but I have done butt's and I think it is all that cold rib meat covering the shelves that keeps it cool so long. Two shelves of cold meat. It is really a no brainer after the fact.
I am going to skip the foiling part as well. I think with the higher temp and faster cook time it is unnecessary. I believe most people use the foil to prevent drying out and to cut down on the amount of smoke. If you use minimal wood it will not be over smoked. I think unless you are holding them, you don't need the foil. I guess I will search the forum to find out more on that. I really think just keeping it easy and simple is the way to go. Cook, Eat and Smile.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.