Skip to main content

I see Smokin Okie and others are using 275 as their temp for ribs.(I believe that they are using and FEC) I am using an 025(with BB's). If using 275, do you need to spritz the ribs each time you open the door after 2 hours to check on the ribs? The 101 guide mentions 225 as a temp.
Does the higher temp of 275 help keep the ribs moist vs a longer time at 225 in a CS 025? What are the advantages or disadvantages of a higher temp than 225?

Thanks for any input. I have been using 250 and now am thinking about trying something a little different.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Years of practice is how I know. I tried all the temps and 275 is what works for me and my FE.

Just experiment. It's all fun and you get to eat at the end of each experiment.

Can't prove it's the best temp. Will vary with cooker, your taste buds, size of the ribs, fat, humidity, rub, etc, etc.

One thing I'm NOT a fan of and this isn't aimed at your Terry; it's a good question.

There is NO magic temp. 225 for example. Where did that come from? Progably someone with a dial thermometer they never used and it had a 225 on it.

Just use what works for you.

Thus ended the Smokin' Post Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Sandlin:
If using 275, do you need to spritz the ribs each time you open the door after 2 hours to check on the ribs? The 101 guide mentions 225 as a temp.

In an FEC100; yes. In a 025; no. It's a moister cooking environment.

For me, I prefer 275 ribs in a pellet smoker; 250 in the AQ. That's just what works for me.
I'm certainly no expert,but a couple of thoughts.
I have worked as a pitboy for larger cooks.
One might cook Thurs thru Sat - all night and the last customer had to pick up their meats by 10AM Sun morning.
You don't worry about changing wood for every product,temps,or time.You tried to keep the hickory coals at even temps and moved the product to hotter,cooler areas.those that were about done may go way over to the corners where they stayed warm.

The feeling was the longer big meats stayed in the plateau,the better they broke down collagen and rendered fat.
We could have shoulders,pork slabs-whatever came in mixed cases,hams,shoulder clods,sausage,venison,turkeys,etc.

Bbq cooks for many years figured out that low and slow would work on most anthing and rarely mess up anything.

Where we might obsess for days over a 2 lb rack of loinbacks,a restaurant/caterer/vendor might be cooking a half dozen different products at once and pulling them out as they come done,or are needed.

Most things can stay in the smokehouse/pit a longer time without damage.

Like cal says,a comp cook may be looking for bark.

Also,all cookers cook differently.The same brand /model may have different sweet spots.

My smokette liked 235º.

The CS electrics are very moist cooking and don't recover heat quickly,the FEC may cook more dry and recovers heat more quickly.

The FEC may like a couple butts at 250º,16 butts at 225º.

It might like a few heavy loinbacks at 250º, a couple cases at 225º.Three racks of spares at 275º,a case at 235º.

Eddy work on countless variations to get the FECs cooking well for us and knows why all the tricks that come to mind don't work.

After doing lots of ribs,he found that 275º worked best for St Louis.

Toothpicks work great to check ease/tender-but remember fat on a brisket is different than the flat.
WE look for ribs with more fat for flavor-but have to render out the fat!Eyes and experience.
They can still be very greasey.

As far as whether to spray or not,is whether you might be changing flavor profiles/adding layers-after the rub is set and won't wash off.Just spraying for moisture means you may need to open the doors more to let out the moisture.

Just a couple of thoughts.
We cook our ribs at 250 in comps since that's the best temp we have found for ribs in the FEC with our method. We've cooked 100's of racks in the FEC to try and figure out a temp that worked for us. 225 is too low and we found the final product was drier and it took a loooong time to cook the ribs. 275 works great as well but it didn't work with all our other meats nor did we find we liked it more than those cooked at 250. If I were you I would spend a Saturday and cook ribs at 225 and immediately cook some ribs at 275 and see what the difference is.

To answer your first question, we never spritz our ribs since it will drop the temperature of the meat due to additional evaporation, it will lower the temp of the smoker, and it extends the cook time. We also foil after 3-4 hours with minimal additions.
Thanks for the information. Part of the reason for my question had to do with my undergraduate and graduate courses in biochemistry. I am interested in just what temp differences affect the chemistry of cooking. Sometimes the knowledge of the chemistry doesn't make any difference in cooking technique (for ex.,the plateau in brisket). On the other hand, I feel the success of cookshack cookers is due to how they affect the chemistry of cooking and that may affect technique.
Really, aren't we and our varied techniques in smoking just grown up kids playing with our chemistry sets (smokers)? Where else can you have so much fun and eat your experiment?
chemisty?

Now you're taking the fun out of BBQ, making it sound like school, although I'm the HeadMaster at BBQ 101 University (I have a real teaching degree also).

Next you'll be telling me Brining 101 is chemistry too.

I'm outta here, going to the BBQ class but we won't be talking chemistry there.

Big Grin
Last edited by Former Member
I can see the "chemistry" and humor of reactions are taking place. :-)

Besides being the most helpful, this must be one of the most fun forums on the internet.

PS
As a former superintendent of schools, and having taken a Cookshack Workshop, I can assure you that Smokin Okie not only has the degree, HE CAN TEACH! If you get the chance, don't miss taking a workshop from Smokin. You will value it the rest of your smoking career.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.