Skip to main content

I rubbed 16 nine pound butts and put them in the FE100 at 2pm today. Set the temp at 224...Cook time 16 hours 25 minutes. Hold temp 140. Smoker was up and running as usual. Left back to work and came back at 4:45. Checked the smoker temp and was at 70 degrees! Crap! Opend the door and noticed the auger wasn't turning. I shut it off and turned it on again. Nothing Confused. Took of the side panel (like I really knew what I was looking for Roll Eyes) Noticed the time .. 5:55pm. Ran into the house...called Cookshack...YES they were still there! Customer Service was busy with another customer. OH NO! Will they call me back before quitting time? Left my number and within 5 minutes Customer Service called me back. Explained what happened...He said to take off the side hopper panel. Already did that. Is the white fan turning...Yes it was. This means the auger motor is working. YES! He said I prbably sheered a pin. Take the 2 bolts out and remove auger...(Best if you empty the hopper first)Yup the pin was sheered. I unplugged the auger motor and swiftly went to my local hardware store before they closed...(20 minutes to spair) I had to drill out the pin and put a bolt in it's place with a nut. Plugged the auger motor back in and checked to see if it worked (YES!) replaced the auger, refilled the hopper with Fast Eddies hickory pellets, reset all temps and YES it is working fine! We are having a benefit for a friend of mine and the meal is served at 5pm! Outside temp is 27 above right now (7:15pm) and will get down to 22. I have the cover on and it will be fine. Butts will be done at 10am Central Time. Just would like everyone know that this is the 2nd time I have had a problem with my FEC100 (had it for 3 years) and each time Cookshack Customer Service helped resolve the "glitch" ASAP! Cookshack = Great Products = Great Service
PS: This is an unsolicited testimonial
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Glad to hear that you got it back working. I too sheered a pin on a early Turkey day cook. I replaced it with a spare nut and bolt that I had around the house. Bill send me two new pins and I put them in.

I have had a couple issues with mine since I got it and the Cookshack people went above and beyond to make it work and me happy.

So much so, as we venture into opening up our own small place here in Anthem, AZ, I will have a nice FEC 500 as the first thing you see when you walk in the door.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.