Skip to main content

New to FEC 100 Cooking

Tried using the cookshack cookbook for ribs. Ribs were tough. St Louis cut about 3 lbs was the ribs of choice.
Tried using the preset rib button. St louis cut about 3 lbs. Ribs were tough.
Not giving up.
Does anyone have information on cooking the following products? Only looking for a starting point for the cooking times and tempatures.
Ribs (St Louis cut 3 lbs)
Chicken (halves 2 lbs)
Brisket (15 lbs)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Rather than picking through your post and giving "could be s",I suggest going to page top,click on FIND,at search,input the product of choice,click the FEC forums and you should get pretty close to all our threads.

Any specifics,after that,we can help narrow down for you.

Ribs from 225*-275*
Chicken-some cook hot 375*,some 225*
Briskets-awhile on smoke,225*- 250* after.

Tom-Fl
Tom's correct, but I'll give a stab since I got nuthin else to do right now.

I think the preset rib button is only 4 hours. If you're doing spare then the times should be 6-7 hours at 225-235.

But, it's always best to actually touch the ribs to see if they are ready. They should bend about 45 degrees while held from the center and almost break. The meat should be pulled back from the bone if you have them cut St louis or "KC" style.
The cookbook I got with my FEC-100 was written for the Cookshack electric cookers so things may be different. In fact the instruction sticker on the front door also has nothing to do with the pellet model. Interesting, wonder if anyone back there wonders why they are putting those on, anyway.... In another post FE himself states he likes to cook ribs at 275. Three hours for baby backs, four hours for St.Louies. I've never cooked that high but next batch I'll give it a go.
Since most people who get FE's already are Q'ers, they ignore those presets.

I would definitely give them a call and give them feedback.

If you see something that can be improved (the book, the instruction manual) just give them a call.

Customer Service doesn't monitor the forum, but they love Customer Feedback.

Smokin'
There are tons of posts in the FE section of the site, so Tom's suggestion will get you a lot of great info.

I haven't build an FE101 yet, but it's on the list.

quote:
Originally posted by Hot Knot:
Ribs (St Louis cut 3 lbs)
Chicken (halves 2 lbs)
Brisket (15 lbs)

I'd ask a question first. Are you an experienced Q'er? I'd start with what you do today.

The variations with the FE are what make it unique.

Chicken, you can smoke on 180 to 250 for a few hours, but finish at a higher temp (325+) to crisp. Or just do 325 full.

For comps, I do my spares, 275, 4 hours
To tag onto Smokin',we cook a lot of 15-16 lb choice packers, trimmed some,and they take about an hour/lb.

It seems like, at around 225*.

Haven't done many that way for awhile.

A lot of folks with IQ4 controllers will cook 4-8 hrs,around 160*-180*,and then let the controller kick up to 240*-250*,to finish.

That way, we probably still average about the same on trimmed weight.

The time you need/want them done,will let you decide the temps.

Hope this helps,more than it hurts. Red Face
I'm still playing with the IQ4 but I know how to do them on the old model so it's easy enough to convert. I cook St Louis at about 240 average temp for about 6 hours. Ribs are rubbed at 5 am and stay on the table until going into the FE at 6:15 meat side up. At 9:15 they go into foil with all the goodies and are tightly sealed. At 11:15 they come out of foil and are glazed on the back side then placed back on the grate and top side is glazed. At this point I may turn temp down to 180 if they are done early. Another coat or 2 of glaze and time to pull about 12:15.

Chicken - I use the Mike Davis method and have done halves that way with great success. I think he'll be doing his last class in March. I do thighs lower and longer then Mike at about 240 for 2.25 hours.

Brisket - 180 for 10 hours. Then up to 240-250 until internal in flat is 160- 165 and wrap and cook to 195 or so. Put the brisket on cold for more smoke penetration. Also you may need to make some changes to your rub to get the smoke flavor you want.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.