Skip to main content

I met Fast Eddie at the Memphis cook-off and was so impressed that I purchased the 100. I've had a great summer with many long weekend cooks. I did brisket (still needs some work) and shoulders,turkey, and ribs in the same weekend and my FEC100 has worked flawlessly. It has exceptional temperature control! Most everyone has been impressed with the results except my stick-smoking friend. Where'the smoke? The ring looks good, but the food ain't black!
I've added a 90 degree elbow with a 4 in. to 2 in. reducer in order to keep the smoke that's produced in the box for a longer time, is this good or bad? I've just finished 100 lbs. of BBQDelight pellets and thought I'd try Fast Eddie's. do you think I'll get more smoke? Do I need more smoke? This newbie would really appreciate all coments and advice!
Thanks in advance!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Was there a problem with the flavor? If not then the problem isn't the FEC-100, but in your rub. If ya want a black product then add sugar to the rubs you use. I usually use turbinado sugar to keep the burning down, but the more white sugar you use the blacker she'll get.

But, I'll add....if the flavor is on the money why worry about it? I like a nice reddish color and some are turned off by the color black. I don't see how this is a negative. It hinges on how it tastes to YOU. Gotta watch those stick burner guys. Sometimes they get used to oversmoked acrid tasting meat and think that's how it's supposed to taste....and treat your stomach. Big Grin

One more thing. I would be careful messing around with the airflow like that. Could wind up with some nasty stuff.
Hey Max,

I think one team on the circut's name say it very well. Pellet Envy

If you look at how well Okie and Eddie and several dozen other teams do on the comp trail.

That should tell you alot. I feel that my foods have as much smoke flavor as I ever did with my stick burner.

RandyE
It's actually one of THOSE topics, on Friday night at comps, that we talk about.

I personally think, having helped more than one or two stick burners, that a lot of stick burners don't know the different between clean and dirty smoke. Ask him what color his smoke is. If he says "white" there you go.

Because of the inefficiency most SB burn wood, you tend to get a STRONG smoke flavor. A lot of clinging.

Not good or bad, just different smoker.

More smoke in an FE, set the temp lower so the pellets burn less efficiently.

Me, I like it just the way make it. Happy with the FE smoke.

Russ

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.