Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The FEC-100 will burn pellets throughout the entire cook. With the IQ4 controller, I find that it takes about 1/2 to 2/3rds of a pellet per hour. As to the cost, that will depend on what you are paying for the pellets. Here in Florida, a number of us will go in together and order a pallet (2000 lbs.) of pellets and split it up. When we do that, our cost is about 40 cents per lb.

Now, I will tell you that it does not take many more pellets per hour, if any, to cook a whole load (16) of butts as it does to cook one butt. So your cost goes down based on the higher the number of butts you cook in a run.

Hope this helps.
It's 100% wood fired, so it burns pellets throughout the cook, as John said.

The amount will vary with the temp. In the 250 temp range, 1/2 to 1 lb per hour is normal. If you're using it higher, say 350, it takes more.

Just do a few test runs, weigh the pellets you put in and determine your use.

Individual results will vary Big Grin (think that the legal disclaimer, right?)
quote:
Originally posted by SouthDakota:
Thanks! $22 for 10 pounds is steep. Using 1/2 to 1 pound per hour...I see I'm gonna need alot more pellets than the 80 pounds I got with the FEC100.

I buy from Eddy. $10.00 per 40 pound bag. Minimum order of 400 pounds gets a price break on shipping. Usually costs me $20-$21 per bag with delivery.
I think South Dakota is far enough East to get the White Oak pellets....but maybe not. I don't know why that is about Traeger. I've used Bear Mountain 100% Alder and Apple/Hickory/Cherry and Alder without side effects. I also like Branch Creek 100% pellets. I think I'm going to order a pallet of Fast Eddy pellets as soon as I find a friendly loading dock. Last thing I ordered I had to pay $125.00 for some cargo expert to move the pallet onto the lift gate and off on the ground.
quote:
Originally posted by ZBO:
I think South Dakota is far enough East to get the White Oak pellets....but maybe not. I don't know why that is about Traeger. I've used Bear Mountain 100% Alder and Apple/Hickory/Cherry and Alder without side effects. I also like Branch Creek 100% pellets. I think I'm going to order a pallet of Fast Eddy pellets as soon as I find a friendly loading dock. Last thing I ordered I had to pay $125.00 for some cargo expert to move the pallet onto the lift gate and off on the ground.

I have my pellets delivered to my home. I use this as one of my business addresses. The drivers have always put them in the basement, which is at driveway level, at no extra charge.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.