Skip to main content

I have a new FEC-100 (IQ4) that I just purchased the first of this month. Today is the third time I've cooked on it. The only problem before today was that the temp usually went high when it was first started. My solution was to allow about an hour to settle down before I loaded it. Today I did that but after about 2-3 hours I noticed that there was little if any smoke. Temp was OK (224) as set but would sometimes go up a couple of degrees and then come back down. Curious me finally couldn't take it anymore and I peaked inside quickly to see what might be the issue. The firebox was flaming not smoldering. Checked several other times and seemed to always have a flame and little or no smoke. Any ideas or is that what is should do after several hours ??
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

What are you cooking? When we cook large cuts such as Pork Butts or Briskets I do a 2 step cooking process to enhance the amount of smoke on it. I'd ussually set the cook temp to 180 and the hold temp to 250. I only do this in comps. For caterings I'll just ussually do 240 and let it go. If I won't be around when they need off then do a 140 hold. The ccoker will do alot better job when the inner cabinet gets good and dark color on it. Right now your walls of the cooker are absorbing quite abit of the smoke.
Was cooking 4 racks of ribs and 2 whole loins parted (4 pieces). What I finally did was shut the cooker off for about 10 minutes and then restarted it. It seems to be working fine now -- plenty of smoke and no visible flame in the fire box. Temp is holding steady. Guess it just takes a little getting used too. First pellet fed that I have owned. Am more familiar with the charcoal and stick fed cookers (home built). But I'm sure I'll be pleased with this one. It cooked great on my first two atempts.
I haven't looked into the internals on the cooker as of yet but am now theorizing that somehow the igniter was on during the entire 3 hours. Don't know for sure -- just a guess. Something was causing it to flame whenever any pellets were dropped. But, anyway, its doing great now.
I think what you need to understand is that there will most likely be flames all of the time that the cooker is on. At lower temps, such as 140-180, the pellets will smoulder more but still have a minor flame while burning. The flame comes from the draft fan blowing air into the fire pot. Keep in mind that the ignitor only comes on in the beginning. After a short period of time, the pellets are lit and you don't need the ignitor anymore.

When I cook butts, I will cook them at 140 for two hours, then 180 for another two hours and then 225 for the rest of the time. I get plenty of smoke on them for what I need.

Give that a try. And like Eddy said, you need to get those side walls dark.
TRUST . Eddy and Cookshack know what they have designed and constructed.
Put your seasoning on, put your product in ,push the buttons, leave the door shut, come back when your product`s time is to be done.

The smoke ring that the fec produces is incredable.

So keep record of what you do and tweek to get the concistancy you desire .

KEEP THE DOOR CLOSED then check the results.
[ i have several friends that would like to have a reasonable priced used fec] email me if you are still unhappy in 2 or 3 months. lnim_01@yahoo.com
Lots of good info here in the forum, so just ask questions.

As it's your first Pelletcooker, do NOT try to compare it to other smokers...it works differently.

Are you saying you don't have enough smoke Flavor or don't see enough smoke..smoking?

"smoldering". Realize, you don't have to "see" smoke for there to be smoke. Clean, clear smoke is preferred to dirty, dark smoke.

Give it a couple of times, with the IQ, it will go for the target temp and hold within a very few degrees.

What pellets were you using?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.