Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have both an older pre-ramp FE and and an FEC IQ4. The one you have will work just fine. When cooking butts on my old FE, I was taught to start off for the first two hours at Smoke, then the next two hours at 180 and the remainder of the time at 240. Works just fine for me.

One note on this method. If you load the FE up completely with 16 butts, I start off at four hours at 180 and the remainder at 240. With a full load of butts, it is difficult for the FE to keep the heat up to 140 when it is on Smoke. Thus the higher starting temp.

Hope this helps.
No foil. I cooked it on my 500. When I took it's temp with a thermapen, it read 170*, but you could feel it was done by sliding in the temp probe. It was tender and juicy. I think it was cooked so long, it rendered out the fat and tenderized itself with the long cook. Usually when I do something like this, I make jerky out of the meat.
quote:
Originally posted by 1/2 bubble off:
Just a note:: It apperas that the Americue probe cannot be used in the FEC 100. Mine shortd out and smoked the insulation.

Yes, those are different controllers. First welcome to the forum, sorry it was a problem for your first one.

You might want to start a new thread about FE/AQ controllers.

Probably best to start a new thread, it might get lost inside this one

Did you contact CS?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.