Skip to main content

I hate to make my first post a problem post but here goes. I received my new FEC 120 this past Thursday. I seasoned it empty for four hours. I set it at 180 and it went up to 312 degrees. I'd read all the posts about over shooting on new units so I really wasn't concerned. Friday night again set it at 225 and it went over 300. Both nights I dumped heat and it still climbed up again. Saturday night I put in two pork butts and a brisket and tried a two stage cook. Set at 180 it went to 240, hold at 210, went to 267. I got through the cook with some babysitting. This morning I wanted to cook ribs and chicken I hit reset and set up my temps and now it doesn't light. I'm cooking on this in Mesquite next weekend so any help would be appreciated. I will be calling Cookshack in the morning.
Randy
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

First things first.

make sure the pot is cleared out of ash.

Hit reset, set temps and start.

Are pellets feeding?

If they are feeding are they just not lighting (what happens is they will overflow the pot if that's the case).

I haven't cooked on a 120, but the firepot, etc are the same so we can help trouble shoot.

Make sure CS knows about next weekend, they'll help you out for sure tomorrow.

Check the location of the temp probe and make sure it's not touching anything or blocked.
I was having the same problem maintaining low temps and having large overshoots with my 120. Cookshack sent me a different auger motor that turns slower and now it works perfectly. Also, make sure you have an auger that has a restrictor pin down the center to restrict pellet flow.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.