Skip to main content

This may be a dumb question, but does or has anyone ever filled the grease pan with a couple of inches of water in the 300 or 5 or 7? I was just wondering if it would add a little moisture and make cleaning a breeze, or if there is something I am missing that will make it work in a negative way. What is your take on this?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Grease pan?

Not sure what you mean. On the 3/5/700 there is no pan, there is a drain, that drains off the grease. The grease collects in the bottom and funnels off. Funnel is at the front of the 300 (actual it's a ballcock open/close)

Did CS make a change (the manual doesn't reference a pan).

I've cooked on a 300, but didn't have to clean it. Big Grin

It's pretty normal, people want to come in an change how CS designed it because they used a certain method previously (like a water pan). It's a pretty humid smoker (depending on load) so my suggestion would be to use it a couple of times as is, figure out times/temps.

I'm not a big fan of water pans, I don't think it adds to the moisture of the meat, it tends to soften the bark a bit.

But if you're still set on it, I'm not sure how you can add moisture (I don't know of the 300 pan) but you could add a tray on one of the rotisserie shelves.
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.