Skip to main content

I am thinking about getting the FEC 750. Does anyone have one? I have been reading about different Rotisserie smokers. A lot of them talk about having to adjust the meat while cooking so the racks don't get out of balance and tip so the meat falls to the bottom of the pit. I want to know if this is an issue with the 750. Any information will be appreciated. I love my FEC 100 and want to get a larger unit, but I don't want to babysit it. I love to get my sleep and wake up to bodacious bbq.
Thinking
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We have the FE2000, which predates the FE750 by 1 year.

Fill the bottom rack first, and it won't tip.

The sprocket is huge at the end with a #50 or #60 chain drive, and geared to about 1 rpm, it doesn't bother with an out of balanced load.

We cook going down the road running a generator [turn off the rotisorary during travel].

Instant heat recovery is nice too.

We love ours and recommend it to anyone.

It can be seen at www.prairiepridebbq.com catering link.

Good luck! Roger
Freddy,

While you were looking at the bigger FEC750, which I have, I was looking at the FEC100, which you have.

My big catering rig is in a snowdrift, 100' from the house. It's hard to get excited about trudging out to fire it up, and cook for our table.

I just talked to John at Cookshack and bought one of the FEC100s that was used for the recent bbq class. I'm putting it on my porch. Next summer I'm going to borrow it out to my buddies.

I looked at Traeger 070 and Little Pig [my wife wanted the pig]. I went with the FEC100 because of the NSF rating, allowing me to use it for commercial as well as residential.

I'm looking forward to a nice, big Stuart's Prime Rib with extra garlic, in a foil half pan to catch the drippings to make gravy for the mashed potatoes.

Roger
That sounds good. What time should I be there?
I have my FEC 100 on the porch, right outside my kitchen. Three steps and I am cooking under a roof. I don't get any snow here in California, but we get rain only in the winter months, so my FEC gets a good workout almost daily. I hear the new FEC 500 & 750 will have the cook and hold controls when it's gets the UL approval in the near future.
Super Smiley
I am having a Lobel's dry aged Prime Standing Rib Roast for Christmas. It will be cooked in the FE.
It works great. I use Alton Brown's recipe.
I have to try their meat once before I die. LOL
My exhaust is about three feet from a wall. My house is a light pale yellow. You can see a slightly darker area directly in the path where the exhaust hits the wall. I don't use an elbow. No biggie.
The convienence is worth it.
Chimney Santa
I think dry aged beef is the way to go. No sense paying hard-earned $ to buy H2O with the wet-aged. I think wet aged is a packer scam, like inhanced pork is a packer scam.

I found when I buy aged beef, it won't keep in the fridge for another 30 days like the superstore beef. The cryvac will start to bulge in a week or so.

I just got off Lobel's website. I happen to know the midwestern farmers they refer to that raise the Kurobuta/Bershires for them. I'm one of them. I have agreed to sell the extra Berkshires from our own meat business to their source.

Roger
Well Smokin, you didn't make it to my home for the Lobels prime rib. I couldn't wait. We had it for Christmas Eve dinner. Seasoned with garlic salt, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper. I cooked it in the FEC until it hit 115*. I took it out and let it rest for a half hour. I then cranked the pit up to 450*. I put the roast back on for 15 minutes to crisp up the fat. I took it off and let it rest 15 minutes. It sliced like butter, and was perfectly rare to medium rare. Had sauteed mushrooms with garlic, onions, butter, extra virgin olive oil, and some red wine, also baked potatoes (in the FEC) with sour creme and chives. A bottle of Cabernet went great with the dinner. Dessert was Key Lime pie, and some 10 year old Tawny Port. I see why Lobels is so expensive, but I am hooked. I have eaten at many top restaurant's, but never had a piece of meat so tender and flavor full. The FEC made it even better. I tried my best to save you some, but everytime I went into the kitchen, I had to have a "little" slice. Now, it's all gone!!
Merry Christmas To All

Fat Man 2

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.