Skip to main content

Here it is...the results of my fist cook
Smoked three 9.25# pork loins (2 from IBP - 1 from Hormell)
Set temp at 224...time set at 8 hours...wood - Hickory. I let the smoker warm up for 25 minutes.
11am Meat Temp 54 Oven temp 208
11:50 " " 84 " " 220
12:45 " " 122 " " 228
2pm " " 151 " " 222
3pm " " 154 " " 230
Was concerned that the meat temp did not rise much the past hour so I did a no/no I opened the door and put another meat thermomitor into the loin on the bottom shelf ( I had one loin on each of the 3 lower shelfs) And in the mean time I found a recipe for smoked beans on the forums that I decided to add to the top shelf of the smoker.
4pm Meat Temp 154 Oven Temp 220
5:45 " " 169 " " 220
All three loins turned out perfect. I fed my tribe and neighbors (7 adults 6 kids a 7.5 pound loin with the Cookshack Rib rub. I used the CS spicy chicken rub on one and my own rub on the other. I really liked the CS Rib Rub, my wife preferred our own and the CS Spicey Chicken Rub...Everyone enjoyed the the smoked loin. As for the beans they were a big hit, too! My wife and kids are NOT big bean eaters...here's the receipe for it. (modified)

1# thick sliced Hickory Bacon
2 1# cans Bush's Original
1 red bell pepper
1 lage yellow onion
1 can peach pie filling
1/4c Cookies Sweet Hickory bbq
smoked at 224 2 hours
Now this wasn't my recipe as I said I got it from the forums and went to the Food Network...Thanks to whoever posted this. The beans were great! Next smoke ... well waiting for my shipment of pellets to arrive Smiler
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Congrats on the success!

Can't tell for sure, but did you pull those loins at 169?

That's 24 degree higher than I do mine. I pull at 145 and let them finish/rise about another 5 when I take them out.

And I'm with hayman, next time put the beans under the pork and longer to get some fat and some smoke. I have a big cast iron pot I use only for that.
I've never seen consisten temps for "medium" with pork so can't say what that would be.

I just know, for us, loins are our last choice and if I do them, I brine them and take them to 145. They go dry SO easy that we don't like them in the 160's.

Lot of the guys around here to their loins in that temp range...145 to 150.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
I've never seen consisten temps for "medium" with pork so can't say what that would be.

I just know, for us, loins are our last choice and if I do them, I brine them and take them to 145. They go dry SO easy that we don't like them in the 160's.

Lot of the guys around here to their loins in that temp range...145 to 150.

Same here. I like it that way as I can always crank the grill if somebody likes them cooked further, but I can't take it back if I hit the dry zone.

Not the biggest fan of pork loin in the smoker. I put it in the area of "hot and fast" along with steaks and the like.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.