Skip to main content

I have had about 4 cooks in my new smoker and have been having problems getting the controls to work

Now this time I can't get it to work correctly at all

The display sometimes shows two small vertical lines... the pellets start to load and the fire starts but I can not set time or temp... reset button pushed and and sometimes same display sometimes diferent.

Most of the time it is 7 or 8 black squares where the letters and numbers are supposed to be. Some times the auger and fire kicks in and sometime is doesn't.

I have unplugged and replugged.... turned it off and back on.... hit the reset button..... opened up the box and pushed the little blue/green button ... to no avail.

Is there something that I am not doing?

Thanks for your help

WmC
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Joe M:
Sounds like a bad board. Call Tony/Bill @ Cookshack Monday. Not much to do until then. The button is the HiTemp Limit Reset. You only need it if your temp goes over 450 and it trips. Good Luck! They'll get you smokin in no time!

that is what happened the last time....came home from work for lunch.... took a few resets to get it started.... then 4 hours later came home and it had shut down. Read the trouble shooting page in the manual and that is how I found the button to push. That fixed it and had a good 18 hours of smoking and good results.

That is why I tried it this time..... a shot in the dark but sometimes they hit.

Ty for response so quick

WmC
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
Sounds like a board or display issue.

Any weather problems (like cold) where you are at. When it's cold, the display many times won't work, but it's early in the year for that symptom depending on where you are.

It is in the lower 60s and the smoker is inside a insulated prefab garage. Not sure if that is what you mean by cold... but reading on this site I understand that there are smokers that are outside and work in much lower temperatures.

Thank you

WmC
Like was recommended. Call Cookshack and they will fix it right away.

I've read the board a lot and haven't heard of any issues exactly like that with the 100, but may have missed one. I did have the same issue in my AQ66, but CS fixed it and I subsequently traded up for a FEC100.

The important thing is, don't get discouraged. You own the best piece of outdoor cooking equipment known to man. You have to get to know it and work with it.

Everything in life has a few hiccups: vehicles, marriages, bbq equipment. The important thing is your support system and that's where cookshack customer service is far above others (for smokers that is, I dont' think they work on Autos or marriages) Smiler

I do know, however, many of the guys on the forum work on cars and I work on marriages. So I guess you're covered any way.
Last edited by chaplainbill
quote:
Originally posted by Chaplain Bill:
Like was recommended. Call Cookshack and they will fix it right away.

Everything in life has a few hiccups: vehicles, marriages, bbq equipment. The important thing is your support system and that's where cookshack customer service is far above others (for smokers that is, I dont' think they work on Autos or marriages) Smiler

I do know, however, many of the guys on the forum work on cars and I work on marriages. So I guess you're covered any way.

Bill, I couldn't help notice the order you used when you listed the "hiccups". Wink

One thing I thought about is the panel switches are pressure sensitive. I would loosen all of the screws (6) and then tighten by hand. If it's screwed down too tight buttons may be pushed in enough to make contact. As before, Cookshack will figure it out.
I too have had problems with controls on my new FEC100 (bought Aug. 2012). I have been working with Cookshack Customer Service guys Tony & Bill - they have been great!! If temp below about 60 degrees, I must open controller and slightly warm-up the Control Board with a hair dryer to get things working properly. Cookshack is working with their board manufacturer to get that issue fixed. I keep my FEC in garage when not in use.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.