Skip to main content

Hi all,
After years of wanting a FEC100, I bought one last week. I've looked around with no luck, and I've found nothing in the owners manual. What is the lowest temperature range this smoker will cook, and then also what is the high range. I've seen a few discussions on cooking at brisket at 160/180 range to get lots of smoke, just wondering what the low end really is, and at the same time heard you can grill on the bottom rack so wondering how hot it will go. Thanks for your help!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Be aware that heat settings above 360 may cause an auto shutdown. It happened to me several months ago in my attempt to do hot and fast thighs. Easily resolved by hitting the reset switch.

I'm not sure about grilling on the bottom shelf. While I haven't read the threads you referred to, I doubt you'll get a proper sear for steaks, chops, etc.
The actual ranges will vary based on a number of factors.

Wood. Wood will create BTU's and thus on the low/high end, will actually be slightly different on type of wood.

Atmospherics. The outside air will also have a factor on the low temp. As it cycles on/off the real issue is how low can it go and keep a fire. 140 is about where I've had mine.

Welcome to the forum.
Max,as to grilling,some have some success this way.

The older FEC,tended to run a little hotter without a shutdown.
Rodney Gray/Pellet Envy uses this as a next best thing.

Place your iron skillet/grill pan on the bottom rack and run the cooker at max for awhile-as you would heat cast iron in the restaurant.

Using about 1 1/2 inch thick strips,fillets,ribeyes,etc ,put them in pan and cook to your level of doneness and flip to repeat.

No,it isn't 800º plus,but maybe worth your experimenting.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.