Skip to main content

Hey guys,

I did a small competition this weekend. It was my first with the FEC-100. One problem I ran into was how long it took to increase the temperature. I am guessing I should have allowed for more time than I did, but I am wondering if there could be any other factors.

I was cooking very low to get some additional smoke, ~180*. I kicked it up to ~226*, and then tried to go to ~276*. In 30 minutes+ I only got to 250ish. I don't remember it taking that kind of time at home. There was a bit of wind, but I would have thought that would have the opposite effect.

Any thoughts/tips/tricks?

Unfortunately, my ribs came out less than stellar since I didn't get the cooker up to the temperature they needed.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You sure didn't give us much to go on, like what kind of exhaust your using? A couple other questions for you...

How often do you clean the dust out of your pellet box and did you leave pellets in it when you transported the FEC?

Have you ever taken the end out of your fire pot and vacuumed the dust that over time accumulates there? It can cut down on air flow.
Obviously you didn't practice a real "pretend" practice, so I'd suggest that before your next comp to see if you can solve the timing.

One trick. If you're real low, throw a hand ful of pellets in to kick start it up in temp. Takes a little practice as to how many to throw in, but they'll ramp up pretty quick.
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
You sure didn't give us much to go on, like what kind of exhaust your using? A couple other questions for you...

How often do you clean the dust out of your pellet box and did you leave pellets in it when you transported the FEC?

Have you ever taken the end out of your fire pot and vacuumed the dust that over time accumulates there? It can cut down on air flow.

I completely vacuumed it out before transporting it.

This is what the stack looks like:

Looks like you reduced the diameter of the exhaust when you added the elbow.

If that is the case, take that bad boy off and test again. Your airflow issue could be from that.

You need to keep the 5" diameter on that pipe. You can pick up 5" elbows at lowes or home depot etc. You don't want to reduce the diameter and alter the airflow.
quote:
Originally quoted by PorkPie:
How is that done Cal? The FEC-100 manual is next to useless.

There are two little screws in the end of the fire pot assembly, the end by the exhaust side. Take those out and slide it out. REMEMBER the ignitor is connected so it won't come all the way out, but you'll be able to get it out far enough to vacuum under the pot. These are ashes that must fall through the bottom side holes in the pot after a long cook and you turn the FEC off.
Just take the stack off and see how it goes. Almost all (almost) of the fire issues can be traced back to exhaust changes.

Do that, test it just like you did and see how that goes.

Next time, if you HAVE to have that exhaust, just crack the door, let air in.

Fires need oxygen and airflow. Focus on those two.
After having the same problem myself, I would try the following things: Take out the fire pot and make sure there is no ash in there, I would check to make sure residue has not built up in the holes blocking air flow, I would try a 100% oak pellet and see how that works. If you are using a pellet that puts out low BTU's it will take a long time to come up to temp. I see Nordy mentioned the elbow coming off the exhaust. I'd try his suggestion as well or change it out with a 5" elbow that fits.

Good luck with everything.
A couple mentions about the exhaust.Eddy tried everyway possible to get the FEC to cook right,and he shipped them that way.
Is it critical to change the plain exhaust?

We have cooked on most Eddy changed models,and only the exhaust changes threw them off.High winds,hi/lo humidity,pouring rain,they all worked fine.Every change in exhaust,decreased performance.

The other tips ,are adjustments that can work,if you must have the change in exhaust.

Just a couple of thoughts.
I've cooked with no exhaust and with a 5" elbow. The elbow doesn't really change the flow much, but can direct smoke a bit and can be adjusted to avoid wind issues.

However - reducing to a smaller caliber exhaust will have lots of effects on this pit. There is a reason there is a 5" exhaust... that's what works.

FWIW - Eddy cooks with a exhaust on his FEC100... Runs to just above the top of the cooker and has a cap on it. Stuart does not use an exhaust at all..

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.