Skip to main content

New unit arrived a few weeks ago ....

I have it inside in a garage and just
put a chimney through the roof as per
regulations and manual.

Tried to "season" the unit today with
the pellets that were sent with the unit.

I set the temp at 225 for two hours.
made sure it lit and left it alone for
15 20 minutes ... came back and the oven
temp display said it was 300.

Did I so something wrong or is the unit
defective?

Thank you
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My FEC100 was just delivered earlier this week. I seasoned it empty for 8 hrs or so where the temperature spiked and stayed over 300 for a long time (I don't know how long). Later that day I smoked two pork butts and had to enter a temperature of 180º in order to keep the internal temperature at or around 250º. Yesterday I smoked a brisket (that was to die for) and found that it continues to run about 25º too high so again, I just set it lower to make up the difference. The walls are pretty dark brown but I'm thinking it just needs more seasoning?

I've never smoked anything in my life and knew I would have to have something pretty foolproof if I was going to succeed. I am so thrilled with this cooker! After reading all of the comments about briskets and how difficult they can be. I have to say it just wasn't... It was 11.6 lbs I slathered olive oil all over it and sprinkled Lawry's Steak & Chop Rub. I put it in with the fat cap down and kept the smoker temp at 225º until the meat temp was 165º then I foiled it flipped it fat side up and put it back in until it reached 195º. It was the best meat I have ever eaten. Thank you Cookshack!
Last edited by Former Member
It's called overshoot.

keep it mind, the electronics are trying to take a cold smoker up to your temp. So it's throwing pellets in at a fast rate.

First. WATCH your smoker to make sure it starts and monitor it until it come up to temp.

Second. As it comes up to temp, just open the door and dump a little heat like Nordy said. That will minimize the overshoot.

OR, just let it go for a while and it will settle down.
quote:
Originally posted by iceblue:
...Later that day I smoked two pork butts and had to enter a temperature of 180º in order to keep the internal temperature at or around 250º. ..

If you would, always start a new post when you have a separate issue as it's hard to answer different people in the same thread.

Your issue and the OP issue aren't necessarily the same.

First, you need to know how long this is happening. It could be like the OP, that it's just overshoot.

BUT

If you're setting it at 250 and if after a few hours it doesn't settle at 250, then you have an issue.

Make sure nothing is blocking the temp probe on the inside of the smoker or no metal is touching it.

How are you measuring the internal temp? If it's a different probe have you tested it?
Thank you all for your responses...

SmokinOkie... I did open the door to release the heat and the oven temp went down to 220.. closed it again and it rose again to 250 before I shut it down thinking that I was doing something wrong.

I will let it go for a longer run tomorrow and see what happens....

Thanks again for your quick responses

WmC
Well once again .... read the instructions stupid

I was putting in the desired temp before I hit start not after...

The smoker ran a few degrees high empty as I was testing it after the one hour at 300 seasoning. I suspect that with a few butts in there... that few degrees will even out.... sorry guys and thanks again for your input

WmC

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.