Skip to main content

We are on our second FEC 750 and the new unit is located outside. Two times last week, we would finish smoking at about 8PM and all would be well. We return at 7am and find the pellets all wet and condensation on the top cover the walls of the pellet hopper. The moisture ruins the pellet and if not corrected, causes the pellets to get stuck on the ramps and gets all the pellets smoldering in the hopper. Did anyone experience anything similar and if yes, was there any way to correct it? TIA, Mike
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It's not a normal condition, so something in your setup is causing the moisture to be retained in the hopper. I've cooked on them outside in the rain and haven't had this problem.

maybe a call to FE or CS and they might know. They'll probably have to talk about the specifics of your setup.
I have had that problem, and it seemed like it was caused by a restriction in the exhaust. I don't have a cap, but there was a minor clog in the pipe. Maybe try removing the cap and use an elbow or two to avoid rain getting in and not restrict the flow of exhaust. Mine corrected when I replaced the old pipe with new.
quote:
Originally posted by ShortyTallsBBQ:
Not tryin to thread jack , but I am thinking of using a Bull Hauler style truck exhaust tip on my trailer. Zero restriction, but will still be able to get crosswind moisture, Anyone try it?

Yeah, you might want to start a new thread.

What smoker are you doing this on? This thread is for a 750, if you're asking about a 100, a new thread might get those owners to jump in.

And when you do, what do you mean "will still be able to get crosswind moisture". Don't know that term and what it means???

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.