Skip to main content

My FEC100 is due for delivery 1 week from today. After I season the smoker, what should I try first?

Think a shorter cook might be better then a longer until I get use to the smoker. Also for a smaller group.

Any suggestions? Times and temps would also help just to get me started. Will be using a MN blend of pellets - Mostly maple with a little cherry, hickory and oak too.

Thanks for your help

JOHN
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by jjhacker:
DO you sauce the ribs during the smoke?

Or is it better without?

I have enjoyed both

Personal preference. Since you haven't done them in an FE, I'd do one with, one without and if you have more experiment and have some fun.

Ribs are my favorite in the FE (well Prime Rib is up there)
Well you asked me, now you want to do something different.... Frowner

The answer is yes, how long, I can't tell you.

Why? Because the size of BB vary so much, the time varies a lot. The temp is still good, after all it's just a initial run.

If they're small, start checking at 3 hours.

Next cook, do Pork Butts like FF said, they'll do great.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
Foil, hmmmm, I forgot, do I use foil?

Man, I don't remember Razzer

My referral (foiling) was to ribs. I've never tried foiling a PB...would hate to lose that crispy Mr. Brown.

btw...just saw a post from Dave on PPigs. Butchers and Pork Pullin C'boys are teaming up for classes In Tulsa. That's going right to the top of the MUST DO list. When I get to OK, maybe I'll be ready to challenge you to a Rib Throwdown...hehe. Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
Well you asked me, now you want to do something different.... Frowner

The answer is yes, how long, I can't tell you.

Why? Because the size of BB vary so much, the time varies a lot. The temp is still good, after all it's just a initial run.

If they're small, start checking at 3 hours.

Next cook, do Pork Butts like FF said, they'll do great.

Smokie Okie
It is not that I don't appreciate your input regarding items to cook. I Do. I just have not been exposed to spare ribs too much. The ones I have had were extremely fatty, hence the baby backs, They seem to be leaner.
May just try both at the same time to see whst I enjoy more. Thanks for all of yourhelp
quote:
I just have not been exposed to spare ribs too much. The ones I have had were extremely fatty, hence the baby backs, They seem to be leaner.

I'll hunt through the meat case for spares well streaked with fat...fat adds flavor. Whether you buy full spares of St Louis cuts, flip them over and use a blunt edge knife to remove the paper-skin. Often there is fat between the skin bone/meat. Some of that will come away with the paper skin. Next, use a boning knife to remove any excess fat on the underside. Finally, you'll notice more fat adhering to the end of the rack, where the wider bones are. It's fine to trim that down a bit. End game: nicely marbled spares don;t have to be fatty.
quote:
Originally posted by jjhacker:
Smokie Okie
It is not that I don't appreciate your input regarding items to cook. I Do. I just have not been exposed to spare ribs too much.

Hey I was just funnin' you need to cook what you're happy with. Spares are a better value and we can teach you about that, the price per pd for BB is just too much in my opinion, but absolutely go with what you like.

We'll help either way. Smiler See happy face... LOL

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.