Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well i have just smoked my first batch of Pork Spare Ribs, i do say they were absoulty the best Ribs i have ever eaten before. I cooked for 6.0 hours @ 225F opening the door once and hour before i pulled them to mop them with cookshack mild bbq sauce and the taste was perfect they pulled right off the bone and tasted expecialy great. Thanks to all for the help for a qreat smoke session on my FEC100 also the ribrack worked great for me they were all smoked very evenly with a perfect smoke ring.

thanks again,

New2Smoking
Last edited by Former Member
Congrats.

As a new smoker, learn that it's not a cake baking, so a time or temp is just a GENERAL guideline. Your rack will weigh different and a 1 lb difference will change the time, shoot even 1/2 a lb or the width of the rib, etc, etc.

The key is use the time as a ball park, but only that. Look over the rib forum for ideas and you'll see mention of the toothpick test and the bend test.

For me? Here's how I do mine. I learned this from Fast Eddy and it's gotten me a lot of rib ribbons:

Trimmed St. Louis, 4 hours, 275. Works every time.

Full Spares will take longer.
Thanks SmokinOkie, I do have to say one thing i learned early on in this forum is, its done when it done, and thats my new smokin motto.. as for the next time i will try your 275F to see if there is a diffrence.. but i do have to say at 225F it was absoultly the most tender and juicy ribs i ever eaten... the FEC100 is and incredible unit, i have done my homework well to find the best smoker made in the world as far as i am concerned, now dont forget i am a newbie and dont know much, but i am a great researcher and use many discussions to learn about a product like this one, i have bbq'd all my life and never had the patience to smoke but with this unit you set it and leave it and you get the best tasten smoke for the least amount of work, I love my FEC100 and I would recomend this unit to all that wants to smoke there foods.

Thanks Again Forum,

New2Smokin
Last edited by Former Member
Thanks Yellow-03,

And thank you for your input as well you actually saved me by making me privious to my cooking times... the funny thing is i was off about 2.5 hours so they finished up about 9pm so everyone that was waiting for them wernt hungry at this time, but it was funney as soon as i brought them in the smell was so fantastic that everone came around and up eating a couple before they went to bed, and all i heard was Incridble, best tastin ribs, Fantastic taste, they all were as excited as i was.. so thanks for saving the day i will plan more next time so they can actually hit the diner table...

Thanks Again,

New2Smokin
Been away for a few days so just now checking in again. Glad to help out and that everyone enjoyed your food. That's the best part for me... listening/watching people enjoy the meal. I've typically been snacking so much on cooked trimmings and such that by the time dinner is ready I'm not even hungry any more Wink

You'll find that folks here are more than happy to help when you need it.
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow-03:
Been away for a few days so just now checking in again. Glad to help out and that everyone enjoyed your food. That's the best part for me... listening/watching people enjoy the meal. I've typically been snacking so much on cooked trimmings and such that by the time dinner is ready I'm not even hungry any more Wink

You'll find that folks here are more than happy to help when you need it.

Thanks Yellow-03,

I totaly agree watching everyone savor those ribs was enough for me, but i do have to say i enjoyed the taste just as much as the compnay.
The requests are in im cooking my next bach Sunday, cant wait im cooking 10 racks this time. Ill expect a bit more cooking time this round.

Thanks Again,
New2Smoking
Here in Miamisburg, OH it's currently a chilly 21F, and my FEC-100 is chugging along cooking 2 10lb pork butts over Hickory and Apple pellets. I've glanced outside at it twice in the last 2 hours, once it was 226F and once it was 228F... it is set for 224F. How's that for temperature management?

Tomorrow for lunch a bunch of people will be enjoying some pulled pork, and I'll get a good night's sleep Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow-03:
Here in Miamisburg, OH it's currently a chilly 21F, and my FEC-100 is chugging along cooking 2 10lb pork butts over Hickory and Apple pellets. I've glanced outside at it twice in the last 2 hours, once it was 226F and once it was 228F... it is set for 224F. How's that for temperature management?

Tomorrow for lunch a bunch of people will be enjoying some pulled pork, and I'll get a good night's sleep Wink

How sweet is that, Thanks for sharing with me that im going to try pulled prok next week any suggestions?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.