Skip to main content

Smoked my first racks of ribs yesterday.
I purchased a pack of loin backs from Sams Club (3 slabs w/ total package weight of 6.84 pounds).
I smoked 2 racks and froze the third in food saver bag. The 2 racks each weighed around 2 1/2 pounds, give or take a few ounces.

Rib prep -
I removed the membranes, covered the slabs with a light coat of yellow mustard, then applied a copious amount of Fast Eddy's BBQ Rub. I wrapped them in plastic wrap and put em in the fridge for 1 hour.

The cold ribs were placed in the cold smoker with 1 chunk of apple (2 oz) and 1 chunk hickory (1 oz) and temp set at 225.

Toothpick test at 3 hours, 3 1/2 hours, and 4 hours. Pulled ribs at 4 hours 15 minutes.

Applied 12 Bones Blueberry Chipotle BBQ sauce on 1 slab and Big Bob Gibson's Red Sauce on the other. Ribs were foiled and toweled for 30 minutes.

Pictures and thoughts on subsequent posts below.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My thoughts...

Can ribs really be this easy? The smoke flavor was spot on for my taste and everyone else agreed. The ribs had a good bite but I'd like the meat to come off the bone a little cleaner (about 30 minutes to an hour longer would have probably been perfect). The toothpick test definitely takes some practice. My mistake was not testing the uncooked ribs to get a good baseline "feel". Overall a successful first batch of ribs. Now I'm addicted - must do more!
quote:
Originally posted by RockySmoke:

Can ribs really be this easy?

Yup Smiler

From the look of the ribs and how they sliced, they appear to be right on the money. A KCBS judge is looking for a bite to come away cleanly from the bone without detaching any meat other than that one bite. Of course you can eat 'em anyway you want to at home Smiler Your time estimate is probably spot on.

Nice job!
quote:
Originally posted by RockySmoke:
My thoughts...

Can ribs really be this easy? Now I'm addicted - must do more!

Sure, who says it has to be hard. The KEY is to ask enough questions so you can get a good start.

Now I hope you took good notes so you can repeat your success.

Yeah, now the hard part. Not everything will be perfect the first time out, but it's sure fun experimenting.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.