Skip to main content

I'd like to try hanging baby back ribs for my next rib cook. I have the 008. Does anyone have a good method? What materials should I use for hooks and do I just hang them from the top rack? I think I read somewhere else that some hang from the top rack, but if there is something that works better, lemme know.

And one noobie question:

So if you are cooking them to "fall off the bone tender", wouldn't hanging them cause them to fall apart in the smoker?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've heard of some guys on here using stainless steel skewers. They trim and bend them similar to a 'Z' shape.

Hang them from the top rack. Since you have an 008, you may consider devising a plan to elevate the top rack some. I imagine you'll have to cut your racks in half so it may be a moot point.
I bought some stainless hors d'oeuvre forks at the local hardware store. They were about 4 inches long. Bent them into tight "S" shapes with some vise grips. Instead of slipping the top rack in the slots, I set the rack on top to gain 1/2 to 3/4 inch or so in height. Rib slabs are cut in half. Hooked under first bone. Usually cook about 5 to 5 1/2 hours at 225. Haven't had any problem with meat falling off. So far I've only had 3 slabs to cut in 1/2. Looks like I might be able to hang 8-10 slabs though. I'm wondering if aluminum would have any reaction to the coated racks that came with the 08/09. Mine is a 08.
http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/409102888...051078344#7051078344

Here's pictures of the ones I made. Bought flat stainless skewers. Cut them in half and bent them using a vise. It's the only way I cook ribs.
I like to cook for 3-4 hours. Wrap in foil and cook an additional 3-4 hours. This is the way I like my ribs. All you need is a fork, they turn out similar to what you buy at Applebees. Good luck!
FWIW, I don't use hooks. Instead I use a chrome file holder from Office Depot. It will hold 8 slabs on edge, and the smoker will hold 2 such racks. I bought them on sale too, for about $2 each. They wash up well in the dishwasher, and I guess if I ever needed to, I could file something in them.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.