Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Louie. I can't get to the Ribs 101 sections any longer..even through archives. So, on that, you're ahead of me, at least! And I'm trying to remember what was written, but you're right, "meat side down, and bone side up" certainly means the same to me. And if I was going to do only one, I'd do the opposite, and leave "bone side down". Maybe Smokin' can enlighten.
Louie--

The meat side is the one that does not have the "membrane" that most of us remove. From a geometric viewpoint, the meat side is the convex one pointed up( I hope that's right?).

I might be wrong, but, I think that you can plop the ribs in the CS meat side up, and leave them that way until they reach a delicious degree of being ready.

Lot's of us think that leaving them "UP" (i.e.- the meat side up), makes what little fat there is help in the cooking process.

Whatever you do, if you cook them until they are done, they will be great! And. GLH will jump your bones if you open the door to change your ribs while they are cooking to perfection.
I'm still deciden if I should baste like many on this forum. Being a novice there is sooo many different ways. I'm leaning toword just BB sauce 1/2 before being done and not opening the door at all. If I can't hold back the temptation to peek, than I will peek at the 3 hour mark and them give the a basting of apple juice to replenish the moisture.

Just my $.o2

Louie-Q
Ok, Louie...I must like you! I researched the sections that you are talking about and found the wording. First, isn't Smokin' Oakie that is reciting the Ribs 101, it is someone else that's reciting his OWN version of a ribs 101-type lesson.

Now, as I read it, he starts with the meat side down. Then somewere along the process he flips them over, but he cautions (and here is where the confusion is, I believe)..he cautions that the concave 'bone side' will have gathered a bunch of fat and grease from cooking, and to be careful when you flip them over (to meat side up), and not that you should "flip" them "to" bone side up, but that since they were "cooked" with bone side up, when you flip them, watch out for the grease.

Now, that understood...I don't flip the ribs, nor spritz them, nor nothin'. I rub them, hang them, and let the smoke gods do their thing. When I pull them out I grill the outside to crisp them, sauce them and let that set up on the grill...still juicy inside and crispy outside. And, I don't take them to 'fall off the bone' doneness.

Helps maybe? Hope so. Mike
Ok, small correction, it DOES appear that the ribs instruction is written by Smokin' Oakie, but that was written in 2001. I remember his more current version of his 101 guide to be a bit different...maybe not, but that's what the vagueries of my memory says anyway!

I think you'll find a lot of support for not opening the door, not spraying with anything, and not flipping the ribs over. Maybe some will do that with great success, but I don't think there are a lot of 'rib flippers' out there. Smiler
At 200-225*, 4-5 hours. If the meat has pulled back from the bone a 1/2 inch, they should be done about right. If not, turn up the heat and check after another hour. Ribs are one of those meats you will need to open the door and check until you think you pretty much got it down. Also one you might need to cook by time. Take good notes.

Cool
quote:
Originally posted by Swede44mag:
GLH:
Is it possible to use a digital thermometer or is there just not enough meat on ribs to use one.

I tried using a temp probe (my Taylor) and it didnt work so well. I use my probe for everything except ribs now. The readings were always wrong, even though I checked my probes and they are fine. I think its probably the amount of meat to bone ratio. I just let the ribs go for a certain time and check them after that, not opening the door before that time.

No need to flip. I run mine (spares) for 5 hours at 225 and check them then. Usually they need another 1/2 hour but this also gives me a chance to mop them with some sweet sauce. I dont even check their temps when looking for doneness. I strictly go by how much the meat has pulled back exposing the bone and how easy a toothpick pushes through the meat. Your times may be different. Just keep good notes and figure out what your times will be. Once you have these base times, its usually pretty consistent for ribs.
[/QUOTE]

No need to flip. I run mine (spares) for 5 hours at 225 and check them then. Usually they need another 1/2 hour but this also gives me a chance to mop them with some sweet sauce. I dont even check their temps when looking for doneness. I strictly go by how much the meat has pulled back exposing the bone and how easy a toothpick pushes through the meat. Your times may be different. Just keep good notes and figure out what your times will be. Once you have these base times, its usually pretty consistent for ribs.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that Thunder, you are right on!
Well,I'm no rib expert-but I do cook with some.

Forget the digital therm method.

Seems like all the guys are saying it takes a little experience ,and some good note taking.

Smokin' likes to get folks to think about weight of your slabs.

1/2 lb difference can make a big difference-so take notes.

After a few cooks,you'll have a better feel.

Previously frozen slabs may take longer to come tender.

Loinbacks and spares may be pumped with salt water.

Today's market hog has gone up from about 220 lbs to 250 lbs+.

This now gives you about 3 lb slabs,rather than the 2 1/2 and down.

The grocery stores may promote six lb slabs,that come off an old 700 lb sausage sow,and are previously frozen, for $0.99/lb.

These could take 8 hrs at 225º.

Smokin' recommends,I believe,to put your loinbacks curl side up-with the meat toward the cooker rack.

Run the cooker @225º-250º,for a full three hours.

Now open the door.

Until you get a little experience,you will have to look and feel some.

Yes, each opening could cost you around 30 mins- or one more cold drink. Cool

Take your ribs out and close up the cooker.

Now is the time to learn a little.

Are they pulling back from the bone ends?

If you pick up the whole slab in the middle with tongs,do the ends bend way down-where you can see the meat wanting to crack?

Can you twist the end bone off the slab with little trouble?

Will a toothpick,or your temp probe, pass easily between the ribs?

If not they need to go back in ,probably at least an hr.Maybe 90 mins.

I'd put them back in curl side/bones down to the rack.

If you are a sprayer,now could be a time to hit them with a mist of apple juice and a little bourbon.

If you have cut your slabs in half,the thinner ends may be closer to done than the thick ends.

Take notes,and remember that slightly overcooked is better than undercooked.

Well,I'll get off, before I'm accused of makin' a Smokin' post. Wink
Boy,

That's quite a bit differant from GLH's method. I guess I got to stop analyzing and just try some.

With the meat side down I would amagine the cook time would be less (heat directly on meat side)

Are these times and temps the same for a one 3lb slab verses 3+ slabs?

I have a small family.

Louie-Q

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.