Skip to main content

OK, I'm new to the FEC 100 and have been having some difficulty. It has the ramp and treiger controller.
I've tried three seperate cooks on it now. The first time and last time I've had fire control issues. This last time I set it to 180. It fired up fine, but went back out to check the temp and it was at 315. I opened the pit only to find that fire had worked its way back up the ramp and the pellets were falling down already on fire. This is the same thing that happened on my first cook (it was very windy), so I went and bought a peice of 5inch 90 degree pipe to control wind coming back in the unit.
Can anyone tell me why I'm having temp issues? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I have a catering event coming up and really don't want to have to fire up my old wood pit for it.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Let us know what they say. I moved the post to the FE forum (we have different owner forums for the Electrics and the FE because they're totally different)

There are obviously several questions, and the Customer Service folks can walk you through it.

Come back with your info and it might help someone else in the future.

Russ
I don't know if this will help but it was a learning experience for me this week. After I had a grease fire that I still don't understand, I cleaned and scrapped everything in the cooking chamber. I vacuumed the fire box making sure there was no ash left. When I started the cooker I didn't put any pellets in the fire pot knowing the auger was primed and I could hear them dropping. I came out 15 minutes later to find a cold cooker, a full load of pellets in the pot and smoke pouring out. I guess the glow rod timed out before it had enough pellets to cause a fire. As soon as I opened the door a small flame started so I just shut off the switch and closed the door thinking I would let it cool.
When I came back to it in 30 minutes the first thing I noticed the chamber was at 190 degrees. The pellets had burned their self down so I punched the cooker on again and continued with the cook with no further problems.
How his relates to you is had I not intervened, that pile of pellets would have made quite a fire once started, enough to reach the auger for sure.
ZBO,

I think it depends on how far into the fire pot the ignitor sticks out. I know on both my IQ4 and on Tom's, the ignitor only comes into the fire pot about a half inch. The IQ4s were later changed where the ignitor comes all the way across the bottom of the fire pot. So with mine, the pellets tend to drop in the right side of the pot so there is a chance none are touching the ignitor. As such, Tom and I put a small amount of pellets in the left side of the fire pot to assure ignition.
Don't forget, the most important question:

If you have unburned pellets and no fire, which FE model is it?

ZBO, is this an IQ or not?

The ignitor in the non-IQ's, as we've discussed in some of the very old threads ONLY comes on for three minutes and NEVER again. You'll hear about 3 min turn it on, then off, then back on (this recycles the Ignitor).

The way to solve this issue is when you start a "dial" FE, take a small handful of pellets, throw in the pot and then turn it on. Gives the glow rod something to start with.

The size, shape, etc of the ignitor all work if there are pellets.

Other mention, NEVER NEVER NEVER leave your smoke until the fire is going. It only takes a few minutes and you'll see smoke start. That way, you don't miss a start. The one time you walk away is the one time it doesn't work.
This is bizarre, but I've had a similar problem on the last two cooks over the last week. I've had my unit (with IQ) for almost a year and a half. No issues. But the last two cooks, I've come out to find smoke pouring from the unit, pellets overflowing, and unusally large fire. Yet the temperature hasn't moved off 100. Both times, I've switched it off to reduce the fire, then restarted, and it was fine. Thoughts?
Call Cookshack Customer Service when you have issues and they can help quickest.

As stated, I NEVER walk away from my unit until it's started. 99 out of 100 you'll see it start right away. But if 1 in a 100 it doesn't you could have an overflow.

Sounds like something with the ignitor, so just call CS.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
Let us know what they say. I moved the post to the FE forum (we have different owner forums for the Electrics and the FE because they're totally different)

Russ

So it's been a while since I originally posted concerning my problem. As with just about any issue, Cookshack's customer support is rock solid! I left a message for CS, and got a call back within an hour. I spent exactly three minutes trouble shooting based on Bill's advice. It seems that my controller has gone bad. Not to worry, I'll have a new one at my door by Friday thanks to the two year equipment warranty!
Just so everyone knows, I set my controller to smoke. The result is supposed to be 15 secs of dropping pellets and 45 secs of hold. Mine just kept dropping pellets. Guess the pit was as anxious as I was to get the BBQ going!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.