Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The number of butts will have to do with the shape/heighth,etc.

You may need to mash around on the butt to shape it.

If you are cooking on the bottom rack,you may want to go fat cap down and your largest butts.

Heat will rise to the top rack,typically higher heat.

Like Hippie says,the smokette does best with a full load and at 225�,I'd guess less than 2 hrs/lb.[if you don't open the door much]

I'd temp the bottom butt and check them all when it hits about 185�.

Use an instaprobe in several places.

Twist the bones and also see if any butts are starting to collapse in on themselves.

If you are going to cooler and hold awhile 195� may be a good time to get them out.

They will continue to cook in the cooler.
I put 4 - 6/6.5 lb butts in my 008 at once no problem. Used 2 temp probes.. one marked "upper" and the other "lower", indicating on which rack they were on. The butts did touch at the onset, but by the end of the cook, werent touching. I used 6 oz of pecan and that was just right for us. Took us about 1 1/4 hrs/lb on bottom rack and almost 1 1/2 per lb on top rack. Pulled them once the probe hit 190*. Foiled the first 2 when they were done and wrapped up inside a cooler. Then when the other 2 were done, pulled all the meat at once.

bob
I did four butts at once back in the fall. 2 were about 10#, and 2 were about 8.5#. I couldn't get the door closed at first with all of them in, so I put the larger butts in, one on top shelf and one on the bottom. I cooked for 1.5hrs and they kind of puffed up vertically, allowing me to put the other two butts in. Worked out great. Total cooking time was about 12-13 hours measured from time first butts went in. I cooked at 225* to internal temp of 190*, then foiled. The smaller butts were at 195* when the bigger butts were at 190*. I used ~8oz of wood to start, and did not add more.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.