Skip to main content

Not only was it the first time to smoke ribs with the SM025, it was the first time to smoke anything!!

I bought 2 packs of pork BB ribs from Sam's Club (6 slabs in all). 2 of the slabs already had the membranes removed, but the others didn't. This was my first time to ever do anything with ribs (other than eat what somebody else made), and it took a little experimentation to figure out the best way to get the membrane off. My final solution was to start at the small end of the slab, then I could pull off the membrane in one big sheet.

After that I rubbed the slabs down with the CS Rib Rub, coating them liberally all over. 2.5 oz. of apple wood provided the smoke for 3.5 hours at 225 degrees. The toothpick went in easily into the thickest part of the meat. I wrapped the slabs in foil and cooked for another 45 minutes, then let them sit for another 30 minutes before digging in. The ribs were juicy and tasty, and fell right off the bone. In fact, if I twisted one of the bones it came out cleanly with no effort. There was a wonderful smoke flavor, quite possibly the best ribs I've ever had.

I had originally thought it would be only my wife, my sister, and me. But one thing led to another and suddenly I had 7 people to feed. I grilled some corn on the cob, and whipped up a salad. For beverages, I served some Zinfandel (the red kind, not that horrible "white" stuff) and good old Budweiser.

I know it maybe wasn't such a good idea to feed a bunch of people with my untested smoking skill, but everything was devoured quickly, many saying they were the best ribs ever. Next up will be a couple of whole chickens. I'll use the CS Spicy Chicken Rub and perhaps some mesquite.

This is really delicious fun!!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My only issue was that I thought the ribs could have been juicier. Maybe next time I'll smoke them lightly wrapped in aluminum foil to retain moisture, instead of having it collect in the drip pan underneath.

Speaking of the drip pan, does anyone use the drippings for anything, or do you just toss it down the drain?
Pan drippings - I used a few TBSP of clear drippings in sauce recipes where called for, but for me, it can contain too much "liquid smoke" after taste to use like normal drippings.

Dry Ribs - The first rack I smoked 'seemed' dry. I came to realize - after comparing my CS ribs to restaurant ribs that the restaurant ribs can be steamy/wet, maybe the way they are held prior to finishing for plate.

A revisit to the 'best' rib joint in my little town seemed a little weird - like crock pot ribs.

Your technique is fine. Sounds a little done for me, but many prefer fall off bone. I like it 30 minutes prior. I don't foil any longer. Cooked to done and glazed on grill.

After a few more racks under your belt go sample your favorite restaurant ribs. I think you will be even more amazed at your CS product.
The ribs did, indeed, come out tasty and juicy. But I thought maybe they could have been even juicier, especially when I saw how much juice had collected in the drip pan.

I didn't plan on having company. The original guinea pigs were to be my wife, my sister, and me. But then a friend from out of town came over, followed by 3 mutual friends. Luckily I had enough to feed everyone, but I have to admit I was plenty nervous about how my first ribs (hell, first anything!!) would come out.
Realize that what's in the pan isn't likely "juice" it more likely to be rendered fat.

Moisture retention is as much a product of the actual cut of meat than method. Putting them in foil doesn't make them juicier, it just steams them in whatever liquid escapes or that you put into the foil with it.

Lots of things to learn about ribs, just keep reading, experimenting.

What's the #1 lesson for newbies? Doesn't matter what you're cooking, but keep GREAT notes. More detailed the better. You really need to know what you did, how you did it and what the issues were so you can learn from any mistakes.

Smokin'
I read around in the forums before I did anything. And I picked up on the having good notes idea. I have a notebook I started for CS smoking. It's a great idea to keep notes, especially at this advanced age where I suffer from the dreaded condition CRS (can't remember sh*t) Wink

I see your points about the foil and the drippings. Maybe the ribs were a little overcooked? Next time I'll try a lesser amount of time and see what the difference is. But before that, smoked whole chickens, followed the next week by smoked prime rib. I've been reading on both and think I have a good plan.
You mentioned they "fell right off the bone." Pull off the bone is perfect. Fall off the bone is overcooked. A little less cook time so they "pull off" the bone, and you would get some more moisture with them.

If you're looking for real juicy ribs, I don't think that's what we're going to get when following "real BBQ" techniques. Unfortunately, many of us have come to know moist juicy ribs because many restaurants "par boil" their ribs, throw them on the grill to finish, then smother them in barbecue sauce. Even the most famous "rib joint" in the country (Montgomery Inn in Ohio) does them this way. But anyone that knows low and slow won't eat them.

Actual, low heat, slow smoking of ribs produces a much tastier rib with considerable more texture and less "mush" than we've had in the past. Once you start producing tasty ribs this way, you'll never go back to the "boiled stuff". Actually, they're so good that I don't use sauce with them many times. I do like to put a glaze finish on them sometimes. Very tasty but not still not drowning in sauce.
Last edited by pags
OK, I get it now. I wrapped and put them back in for 45 minutes following the instructions in the little cookbook that came along with the SM025. It said something like, if you want the ribs to be fall off the bone tender, wrap them in foil and cook for an additional 45 minutes. Next time I'll do exactly as I did, except wrap after pulling, and let them set for 30 minutes or so.

Thanks for all the advice, SmokinOkie, and everybody!! Cool Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
If they were done when you did the toothpick, but wrapped them and put them back in, they would definitely overcook. If they're done via the toothpick, wrap and pull.
I think I have it now. Great advice, my fellow NorCal-er!! And I concur with your assessment of the mushy ribs. I saw such ribs on an episode of a show on the Food Network (I think it might have been Throwdown, with Bobby Flay). And I had some mushy ribs recently at an expensive restaurant in Napa Valley. While edible, they just didn't do it for me. The flavor hadn't permeated the meat. They came to the table smothered in sauce, but the blandness of the meat was still evident. Eeker Frowner

Anyway, thanks to you and everyone for the great advice. I promise to do better next time. Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
You mentioned they "fell right off the bone." Pull off the bone is perfect. Fall off the bone is overcooked. A little less cook time so they "pull off" the bone, and you would get some more moisture with them.

If you're looking for real juicy ribs, I don't think that's what we're going to get when following "real BBQ" techniques. Unfortunately, many of us have come to know moist juicy ribs because many restaurants "par boil" their ribs, throw them on the grill to finish, then smother them in barbecue sauce. Even the most famous "rib joint" in the country (Montgomery Inn in Ohio) does them this way. But anyone that knows low and slow won't eat them.

Actual, low heat, slow smoking of ribs produces a much tastier rib with considerable more texture and less "mush" than we've had in the past. Once you start producing tasty ribs this way, you'll never go back to the "boiled stuff". Actually, they're so good that I don't use sauce with them many times. I do like to put a glaze finish on them sometimes. Very tasty but not still not drowning in sauce.
Oh no, we forgot to warn about that cook book(TIMES are OFF). You will find a lot more of the LITTLE things that we all forgot to tell, if you will read. We honestly don't do it on purpose!!!!

I'm still learning a lot from this great forum, just have FUN. It is still like a new toy everytime I smoke something that I haven't before.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.