Skip to main content

I decided to start with a brisket. Why? Because everyone else starts with a butt and I wanted to be different! Ha!

Anyway, here's my cooking log for the most succulent piece of BBQ I've ever tasted in my life!

I cooked a 12.5 lb brisket. This was a cheap Walmart brisket too.

SMOKING JOURNAL

General Information
Date: 5/18/09
Meat & Cut: Brisket 12.75lbs
Smoking Temperature: 225
Wood Type: Hickory
Wood Amount: 3.75oz.

Preparation
Rub, Brine, Marinade:
1. Used only the Cookshack Brisket Rub. Used 1/3 of a new shaker.
2. Put in with fat side up.
3. Rinsed meat w/water and rubbed cold.
4. Used two temperature probes; one in the point and one in the flat.
5. No preheating of the smoker and didn't bring the meat to room temperature; I wanted to start cold.

Special Comments:
1. At 7pm it seemed the flat probe may not be in lean meat. I moved flat probe. Temp changed from 172 to 167. Wood all burned up and only ash is left.
2. At 1am moved flat probe again. Temp changed from 192 to 190.
3. Pulled the brisket at 12 hours. Thermometer easily slid in and out like a hot knife in butter.

Temperature Charting
Time--MeatTemp-----SmokerTempSetting-----ActualSmokerTemp
4pm----43--------------225-------------------- 140
6pm----128/152--------225-------------------- 225
7pm----155/172/167----225-------------------- 225
8pm----165/170--------225-------------------- 225
9pm----170/173--------225-------------------- 225
10pm---173/176--------225-------------------- 225
12am---176/187--------225-------------------- 225
1am----180/190--------225-------------------- 225
2am----182/190--------225-------------------- 225
4am----194/198--------225-------------------- 225

Finishing Comments:
I wrapped the brisket immediately in foil, towels and put into ice chest at 4am. Temps on both probes are 190.

I left in the cooler for 2 hours. Temps are both at 165. Carved both thick and thin slices, packaged in vacuum sealer bags with 1.5 lbs per bag.

The meat reduced to a little more than 8 1/2 lbs.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Great post, but I'm amazed(stunned is a better word) that this 12lb brisket cooked in 12 hours AND the door was opened TWICE!!

I did a Brisket Sat/Sunday, took 20 hours at 225(on a Q), came out great and I had no problem with cook time, as I figured, When it's done, it's done. I opened door once to flip Brisket from Fat up, to Fat down.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Brisket_3
quote:
Originally posted by jcohen1005:
Great post, but I'm amazed(stunned is a better word) that this 12lb brisket cooked in 12 hours AND the door was opened TWICE!!

I did a Brisket Sat/Sunday, took 20 hours at 225(on a Q), came out great and I had no problem with cook time, as I figured, When it's done, it's done. I opened door once to flip Brisket from Fat up, to Fat down.

I was fast on the open and close; less than 20 seconds to move the probe to another part in the flat.

You know what they say; it's done when it's done. My next brisket may take 20 hours. This one didn't. There is no rule except to keep the eye on the internal meat temperature and feel for that knife-through-butter feel that tells you she's ready to push, er come out! Ha!
One of the things us "old guys" like Tom and I suggest is to take notes.

Great job SP (skipro for short)

It's pretty easy to just jump in and start cooking, but when you're learning, the LITTLE things add up.

Keep good notes, make note of what you liked, and didn't and you'll be able to recreate your success.
quote:
Originally posted by redoakNC:
... but I must say I don't get the really dark 'bark' results like in jcohen's picture.

Couple of notes.

The reason it's finishing in more of a 1 hour per pd, I think is that the new elements and electronics help for a more stable temp AFTER opening the door.

Bark is a function of a couple of things; amount / type of smoke, rub mixture and amount, humidity. You'll get a better bark if you don't wrap.
I'm surprised about the time line too. I did a butt last weekend, 8lbs, and it took 12 hours. Like I've been told and know know; it's done when it's done. Time is only a very rough estimate of where one is in the cooking process.

BTW, I put on as much rub as the meat can possibly hold. If I had a 5 gallon bucket of rub, I'd just dump the meat in there, let it sit for 5 minutes, then pull it out, being careful to not bump any off. The bark on both the brisket and the butt were excellent.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.