Skip to main content

We Got our FEC 100 yesterday.

Everything came in great on shipping.

I got the cover and the probe too, plus some rub and some sauce, and the cookbook.

It came with two bags of the Hickory/Oak-based pellets.

Tomorrow I plan on breaking the unit in with the pre-run with pellets for an hour.

Really, I have to say that I have rarely, in my life, received as wonderful service, attention, and courteousness, as I have with <every> single person I have dealt with, or met, at Cookshack.

They truly epitomize what an American company should be.

KK
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I ran the smoker today for its debut/break-in as per instructions for one hour at 300 degrees.

The unit works amazingly well so far in terms of regulating the temperature.

It overshoots a bit at first as expected (by about twenty to 40 degrees in a spike)

Then it started to decline slowly but settled above 300 for some minutes (about 10 degrees or so)

Then it began settling in with a nice ebb and flow around 300 degrees in which it stayed on 300, would go below a couple degrees, and rise again and overshoot just a tad, but then comes down to demonstrate a superior no hassle heat control.

I am extremely impressed with the unit so far, and I haven't even cooked on it yet!!

I will let folks know how future cooks go.

KK
Congrats! I got mine last week and so far it works like a charm. I didn't even have temp spikes in mine, but the temp would settle about 20 degrees below the 300 mark. I didn't worry because I knew it was in the break in period. So far I have cooked chicken, ribs, and 2 butts on it and they came out great. Now the FEC settles about 8-10 degrees below what I set it. I threw in some other temp gauges on different shelves and on different place amongst the shelves. Some places were hotter then others. I layed a temp gauge onto the actual FEC therm gauge and they both read the same.
You just have to trust in the FEC, the company and the people who make them. Everything balances out within the cooker, types of meat, density, quantity, temp of meat when placing it in the cooker, placement on FEC, etc. Just look at it as "a little magic happens" mindset. I'm one of those compulsive people who sometimes want the temp to say 250 exactly all the time if I set it to 250 and by god it's going to say it!! Every FEC is different and each one has it's own personality. I know a guy who cooks on two side by side and each one cooks a little different and has it's own way of getting the food done right. He just cooked on them, got to know the cooker and went with them. This should be part of the fun in owning your new cookshack!
I sometimes fret over the little things and I will re-read the forums and articles and they help me realize that little things happen when you involve raw fire, wood, electronics, moving parts and 100 lbs of meat dripping grease all over. Rest assure if anything is wrong it can be fixed, people can give you tips that will make the difference in the world.

In conclusion, I bet your oven at home has a bake mode and a set temp gauge and when the oven reaches the correct temp the light goes off. Who here has ran temp guages on different racks and levels to see if the oven your about to cook your apple pie on is really 350? Nobody I bet. I bet there is temp differences, flucuations, hot spots, cold spots, etc. We just trust that GE has made our kitchen oven correct and start cooking on it. You should also with the FEC. So if you just bought one, have fun and may it bring your tons of good times. For those of you still thinking about it, do it, and you can thank me and all the other frequent poster here who wouldn't lead you down the wrong path.

BBQ Bryan

**This has not been an advertisement and in no way shape or form is BBQ Bryan affiliated with Cookshack Smiler**

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.