Skip to main content

I just got off the phone with John Schifflet where I ordered a FEC100 that was used in a class and reconditioned to "like new" condition. He sold it to me at a discount because it was used, but I still get the full waranty like a new one. This seemed like a good option, since I did not have a ton of money to spend. I am excited and want to know if any of you have any suggestions for a new owner. I have been using a Traeger this summer, so I am already a "pellet head."

Mike
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I couldn't wait until the weekend to fire up the FE. Tonight I did a 6 lb roaster chicken, split it and used the Cookshack spicy chicken rub that came with my unit.
It was done in 1hr and 50 min using the 275 setting. The chicken was juicy had great flavor (used pecan pellets) and great color. I would like the skin to be a liitle more crispy. Anyone have tips to crispen the skin.
Since I got the FEC and see how easy smokin can be, I will be doing it so much more often.
I'm in smokin nirvana.
Lee
Any place there's excess fat on the skin, or fat between the meat and skin, remove it. Scraping on the skin will take it off cleanly without damage. Also try pulling the skin tight and securing any excess on the underside with tooth picks (keep track of how many you use). Both these methods will help give you nice "bite thru" skin.
One problem with the FEC100 is that if you're cooking butts or briskets, you could forget they're on there since you don't' have to do anything. No shoveling charcoal and wood into firebox, no mopping. I guess this is more of a problem as you get older. What was I saying? Where are my keys?
Go to you local meat market and ask them for left over fat. They should give it to you free. I have done this to every smoker I have owned before I cook on it. I think it will help you with more stable temps. I think the heat bounces alround the shinny new stainless steel. It is kinda like a new iron skillet.

Craig
Well, my FEC arrived yesterday on schedule. Unfortunately, it arrived at a truck terminal about 50 miles away rather than at my house. They called late yesterday and scheduled a delivery for late Monday afternoon. I know that it is only a couple of more days and I will have it a long time, but I sat home all day yesterday waiting for the delivery and was hoping to get it seasoned and do my first cook this weekend. Patience is not one of my strong suits.

Mike

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.