Skip to main content

Well, i've finally done it. Today, i ordered a Cookshack Model 008, as a birthday present to me, from my wife. (Thanks Honey!) I'm excited to finally be able to put all the hours i've spent reading this forum to some good use! I'm going to try ribs first, using smokin's guide. . . Cookshack told me my smoker would ship today, and i'll probably have it on wednesday. I've ordered some apple, and pecan is plentiful here in Louisiana.

Any thoughts, tips, or suggestions for a new user?

Thanks for all your help.
Lyn Askin
Crowley, Louisiana
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you really like ribs, I suggest you buy some rib hooks from Cookshack. They do work in a 008, but you must cut the ribs in half, and put the ribs as far up to the highets rack. This way the ribs don't touch the smoker box. I have put as many as 6 rib hooks in my 008. I usually smoke at 225 degrees for 4 hours, and the ribs come out close to fall off the bone. Don't ever forget a good drip pan.
Thanks for the suggestions. . . . I've been reading the forum for some time now, but i'm sure i'll forget something. I already have a weber rib rack, so i'm going to give it a try in the 008 this time. If it doesnt' work out, i'll look at the rib hooks. For my first smoke, i'll probably just try the cookshack rib rub, but i'm anxious to try the BRITU rub too.

Another quick question. . . How important is it to "season" the 008? I was hoping to put it to good use the day it gets here, but maybe i'll have to wait until the weekend.

Thanks again for all your help.
Lyn

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.