Skip to main content

Good morning everyone. I just ordered my SM009 yesterday and in the mean time have downloaded and read a copy of the Operators Manual, all of Smokin' Okie's 101 guides and perusing the forums (way too many out there).

However I have a few questions that I hope you can help clarify for me.

In Brisket 101 there is a suggestion to test the temperature of the smoker at all grill levels using a Smoke Temperature Log to record the findings.

How do I accomplish this? Should this be done with food in the smoker or empty? To check all three levels do I use 3 different polder thermometers threaded thru the smoke vent and inserted in the meat on each level?

And what exactly is a normal cook cycle?

The next question concerns brining and smoking a turkey. In Brining 101 it suggests using a cure such as Tenderquick if you are smoking at temperatures of 180-225 due to prolonged exposure in the danger zone of 40-140. In Turkey 101 it says to pre-heat the smoker to 250 and the recipe for Smokin' Okie's Holiday Turkey Brine lists the Tenderquick as an option and says that he omits this part. Both Brining 101 and Turkey 101 use turkeys 12 pounds or less.

So if you start with a cold smoker and are smoking at below 225 you should use the Tenderquick but if you start with a pre-heated cooker at 250 you don't need to use it since the turkey won't be in the danger zone too long. Is that correct?

Aside from a shorter time for smoking and not using the Tenderquick, is there any difference with texture and taste between the two different methods?

Sorry for the convoluted questions.

Kelly
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It is good that you have done your reading,as it makes it easier for us to answer your more specific questions.

If you have one remote therm,do it one shelf at a time.

If you have more therms,do more shelves.

While you are breaking in the cooker,without meats,is a good time to check each rack for an hour,or so.

An empty cooker can give pretty large temp swings-just like your house oven.

Don't worry,as it is normal.

Run it at max setting.

Most turkeys you buy will already be shot up with up to 18% salt water.

I like to brine turkeys,cook as hot as the smokette will run.

You will get a more moist bird and less chance of overcooking the breast.

With 12 lb birds,I don't use TQ.

It can turn them "hammy" IMO.

Hope this helps a little.
quote:
Originally posted by soccerchick:
The next question concerns brining and smoking a turkey. In Brining 101 it suggests using a cure such as Tenderquick if you are smoking at temperatures of 180-225 due to prolonged exposure in the danger zone of 40-140. In Turkey 101 it says to pre-heat the smoker to 250 and the recipe for Smokin' Okie's Holiday Turkey Brine lists the Tenderquick as an option and says that he omits this part. Both Brining 101 and Turkey 101 use turkeys 12 pounds or less.

Kelly

Don't apologize. It's nice for someone to actually read them and find inconsistencies. They've only been around for 5 or so years.

You only need TQ if you're brine doesn't stay cold. If you keep your brine below 40, ignore the TQ.

Smaller turkeys are a recommendation, as it says in Turkey 101, because of Food Safety. Big birds cause problems with internal temp saying below 140 too long.

PLUS a bigger bird probably won't fit in the smaller CS's.

For mapping the idea is just to learn that there are different temp levels within the smoker and as long as you know what they are, for a given temp, then you'll know and can adjust. For example, why do ribs on one level cook faster than the other levels?

Questions are great, keep 'em coming.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.