Skip to main content

OK folks.. here's the plan.

I've read and read the info on prime rib/standing rib roasts. I'm breaking one rule by cooking it for the first time for a party of about 30 people that will start at 6pm tomorrow.

I have in my possesion a "choice" bone in rib that is cut in two roasts... close to equal haves totaling 15 lbs.

It will be smoked and cooked in the 055 and possibly finished off with higher heat in the oven.

I have many choices of wood.. spices, kosher salt, ground pepper, both fresh and dried rosemary.....

I'm thinking about spicing the two pieces completely different.....

So.... what time should I start cooking to make sure it's done by say 6:15 but not done too far ahead of time?

Thanks for the help as always....

Richard
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Doc, I just pulled this up from FoodTv.com. Im not trying to slight anybody here whatsoever. I did this recipe a couple years ago. Awesome eats.

Home > Recipes

Horseradish and Salt-Crusted Prime Rib Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence
Show: Food 911
Episode: Heavenly Prime Rib

Buying and trimming: When ordering the rib roast from a butcher, be sure to request a "top choice" roast cut from the small loin end; the best being ribs 12 through 10. Have the butcher cut off the chine/backbone. The rib bones look best if they are shortened and frenched, have the butcher do this for you as well.

1 (3-rib) prime rib beef roast, about 6 pounds
4 red onions, halved
4 carrots, cut in chunks
4 parsnips, cut in chunks
2 heads garlic, halved
Horseradish and Salt Crust:
1/2 cup prepared horseradish
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
4 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
1/2 cup kosher salt
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Put the onions, carrots, parsnips, and garlic into the bottom of a large roasting pan. Place the roast, rib side down, on top of the vegetables. In a small bowl mash together the horseradish, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, and olive oil to make a paste. Smear the paste generously over the entire roast and drizzle with some extra oil. Roast for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or approximately 20 minutes per pound for medium-rare. Check the internal temperature of the roast in several places with an instant-read thermometer, it should register 125 degrees F. for medium rare. Remove the beef to a carving board, cover it with foil, and allow it to rest for 20 minutes. Note: the internal temperature of the meat will continue to rise about 10 degrees. Remove the vegetables and set aside. Pour the pan juices into a fat separator and set aside to allow the fat and beef juices to separate. Use the juices to serve with the meat and save the fat for Yorkshire pudding
Doc,

Keep it simple your first time. Just use some worchestershire and Montreal Steak Seasoning the first time. Put it on tonight if possible and wrap in food wrap and back in the fridge. About 1 1/2 hours before they go on the smoker, take them out of the frige and the food wrap. Put some kosher salt on the ends and leave the roasts on the counter.

If you don't have Montreal Steak Seasoning, put some kosher salt, course ground pepper and a little bit of dried rosemary on it. Make sure you rub the dried rosemary together between your hands to release some of the oils inside. Also some crushed or granulated garlic if you have some.

Get your 55 heated up to 275*. I would use hickory in the smoker. Put the roasts on about 4 hours before you want to serve them. Put one roast in and cook to an internal temp of 125*. Put second roast in about 1/2 hour later and cook to internal temp of 118*. They should hit their internal temps about the same time.

Once they hit their temps, take them out and set on cutting board with foil loosely over for 1/2 hour. If you can put them in a 500* oven for 10 minutes, do so at the end the 30 minute hold period. If not, don't worry about it. They are now ready to be served.

The reason I suggested you cook to two different internal temps is that you will give you more flexability to fulfill everyone's request for a certain doneness.

Hope this helps.
Richard, remember that prime rib benefits greatly from a good rest, so budget plenty of time into your schedule.

For AB's recipe (which it looks like you're following), it will take around 4 hours to get them to an internal of 120 if cooked at 250 in your smoker. Then plan on a 30-min rest, then 10 min in a 500 deg, followed by a 10-15 min rest. That should put you in the ball park.

As for seasoning, AB's seasoning is good, but simple. Try Tyler's seasoning on one of them and see which you like better. I don't like using Montreal Steak seasoning on my prime rib because the flavor registers in my mind as too similar to steak and brisket that I use it on. For prime rib I want something different.

Good luck!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.