Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Depends on temps.

Those with a single FE, that I know of, put butts and briskets and try to pull them about them time they do ribs (because they do ribs at a diff temp). Wrap and put on hold for hours isn't a problem.

Then if you're cooking hotter, for chicken, you'll need the ribs off before you put chicken on.

ALL depends on what temps you use.
lol ... OK now I'm on a new learning curve here.
I'm used to smoking Butts, Brisket, and Ribs at about 225. Chicken higher like 375.
I assume your recommendation is going to be check the cooking 101????

IS there a short and sweet method without looking everything up for the best temps and average times to cook at?

Thanks much
Briggsy
Briggsy,I don't know that there is "THE temp/time" to cook different product.

Most folks will say,if you are happy with the results now,cook like it works for you.

You just have to work out your holding times.

Yes,some cooks like to vary temps,to fit their particular technique.

Some folks may hold longer on a "smoke" setting,and then cook higher,later.

The FEC does allow you to jump the temp,and hotcook chicken-if you choose to use that technique.

Eddy,likes to cook his comp ribs a little higher than you might.

That said,if you find the "perfect",please private message me. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Briggsy:
IS there a short and sweet method without looking everything up for the best temps and average times to cook at?
Briggsy

Honest answer?

No.

But we can help...

Sounds like you're new to comp cooking, right? Just want to know so we can give you the right advice.

It's because there is just too much variation in the actual meat and various other factors. Size, weight, shape, lots of things.

I could tell you "start at 1 hour a pound, figure out the weights and work backward" but then how many times do you open the door, heat loss, etc.

If you don't have times for how you do butts, briskets now, then a little practice is in order first. Do each one, work out your times, take some notes.

If you do have times for how you normally do it, just time it so the butts, briskets, ribs come off by the time you need to put chicken on. For a 12:00 turn in, at your chicken temps, it will vary from 45 min to 2 hours, depending on what kind of chicken you doing.

If you haven't cooked on the FE much, I'd just do a practice cook on each category and figure out your times. BUT keep good notes. If you cook a 7lb butt on the 3rd shelf in practice, but a 9bl butt on the top shelf in a contest, there will be some differences.

Hope this helps.
Thanks SmokinOkie / Candy Sue / All - I'm not exactly new to BBQ. I've done a few contests and had an offset and an Ole Hickory. (long story).
But I'm new to the FEC and thats the reason for the questions.
I'll use the logsheet to track temps / etc.
I figure I can do butts, brisket, and ribs together then jack-up the temp for chicken. But we'll see.

I'll take your suggestion and practice!!!
Thanks
Briggsy
What Smokin outlined is definitely a good process to follow to arrive at your own times. Just one other tip. If you plan on cooking chicken at a higher temp, change the foil inside the FEC between the other categories and chicken. With that much grease in the smoker from the other categories and the temp getting boosted for chicken, it is better to be safe and change the foil than to tempt fate with a fire.

Trust me...
Like Ribdog says,we just put a removable layer-so we just peel the dirty foil off-over the next clean layer,and don't change airflow,etc.

Ribdog always is good about checking for a level cooker,so stuff drains correctly. Big Grin

All the sugar,grease,injections,etc from the big meats can clog up that side drain shute,by the time you are running 450* chicken.

Tom-Fl
I like to get my brisket and pork butts done and holding before I do my ribs. After I pull the ribs, I use a pair of welding gloves and pull off one of my layers of foil that is on the grease shield. I then bump my temp and cook my chicken. I would not like to have the grease flare or add any additional charred flavor. Plan you times backwards and give yourself time to get your chicken done and boxed. This way you can build your schedule to how you cook your entries. If you cook flats or full briskets, this will make a difference in timing, so there is not a one-size fit all answer.

Later,
Scott
Wild Blue

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.