Skip to main content

It's been a while of lurking on the site and conspiriing with some local CS users, and now my 009 is slated to arrive tomorrow. Now what? How should I season it? I've heard ten different ways, with meat, w/o meat, 4 hours, 6 hours? 4oz-6oz? 225-250? What the skinny? I've read on the forums to read my directions with a grain of salt and look to the forum for the real info. Also thanks to Karen H. at CS she has been awesome. I know some of the other sites that sell CS are great, but there's nothing like getting it from the horses mouth, and to hear they just got done building mine and she went back to put the shipping label on it is awesome. You cannot get that at at any mailorder place. There's nothing like being proudly made in the USA, and speaking with the folks that just made your smoker, and you don't even have to speak Chinese either, what a blessing!!!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Wipe down the inside (possible oil/dust/residue), put 6 oz wood in the woodbox, plug that bad-boy in, crank the temp up to 250 and let er rip for 4-5 hours. You are now good to go.

Cook a big fatty pork butt your first time around. It's a very forgiving cut, can't go wrong!

Congrats on your purchase. You'll not be disappointed!!! Big Grin
The reason there are several different ways to season a smokette is because they all technically work. All you are trying to do is get an initial layer of smoke on all of the surfaces of the inside of the box.

What Wheelz says is spot on. Especially wiping out the inside of junk (wood dust) and oil residues. I used dish soap and water instead of just wiping but that is just me, and probably the eleventh variation. The main thing is it doesn't really matter if you fill the wood box or use less wood or use 225 or 250 or do 4hrs or 8hrs they all would accomplish about the same thing.

Basically, wipe out, make smoke, 6 hrs

Whatever you do don't ask what rub to use on your first pork butt. You'll get more than 10 different answers on that one. Big Grin

Have fun, I know you'll enjoy your new smoker.
DGM,
I understand.
My long-awaited 008 arrived yesterday. The butcher sold me a nice pork butt and gave me an ugly 4-5 pound hunk of fatty meat which she tied up like a small butt. I got a big ol' bone shank and just put them both in the smoker to season it overnight (8 hours) at 225.
I really wish there was a little light on the CS so I would know that it is on...so there's no on-off switch? Just plug it in and dial in the temperature? oh well...I will hopefully be putting in my pork butt tomorrow night for the first real meat in my CS. Thanks to everyone for their guidance the last few weeks.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.