Skip to main content

Hello to all,
I recently won a Cookshack Model 160 at the Ponca City Barbecue Cookoff. Due to other cookoffs, I just started playing with it this past week. For starters, I am very impressed with it's construction and it's ease of use. My main cooker is a JR Enterprizes log burner, so this new fangled contraption is taking a little getting used to....lol. Last Sunday, I tried a 3lb stick of bologna and a very trimmed brisquet that I had in the freezer. After a few hours at 275 ( log burner mentality ) the bologna was great, I left the brisket on for 8 hours total and needless to say it was quite dry. Tuesday, I cooked a pork butt at 225 for 8 hours, when I checked it it wasn't done so I wrapped it in foil and turned the temp up to 275. It came out great ! Like I said I am a log burner from way back so for both cooks I loaded the wood box. This is the wood that came with the smoker. Compared to reading the results from other posters, I did not notice that much smoke taste on the meat. It was smokey but not too smokey. I am assuming this will change with different types of woods used later on. I can see this as a great wintertime project as well as an added asset to my catering business. BTW, this is a great forum.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Probably the biggest issue with cookshacks is also their biggest advantage...humidity.

With the design and small airflow, the moisture from whatever meat you're cooking tends to stay in the smoker. That's why many people have issue with a lack of bark, it's the high humidity preventing the exterior from "crusting".

The easiest method is to open the door occassionally to let the humidity out. I don't even bother until about half way through whatever you're cooking.

Briskets and butts turn out great.

The issue of a smoke ring is also there and that's another discussion.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.