Skip to main content

So far i have been using the ramp of our competition trailer as a cooking platform, but now that the weather is getting cooler my wife would like to be able to close the ramp door to keep the trailer warmer at night. The one time that I tried moving the FEC-100 onto the grass we gave up and put it back on the ramp. How do you folks move your FEC-100 to where you want it at your cook site? I thought about using a couple of squares of plywood. Any other ideas?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think the idea of a few pieces of plywood makes a lot of sense. I had thought of the same a few years back. But never got it done and just muscled the FEC around to get it in the right spot. Of course, with the plymood, you might also have a better surface to set it on when you get it to the right spot and hopefully be a more level base.
I just pull my truck to where I want it to be and then slide it off....but, then again, I just lie it down in the bed of my truck when transporting. I use plywood when the weather has caused soft/muddy ground just to keep it from sinking into the ground. I like the idea of the larger tires on it, and have seen it on a couple of FEC 100's in the past....
Ron, we use plywood when moving our FE aroud on any sort of non-solid surface. The last comp that we cooked at, we actually laid down a full size 3/4inch sheet of plywood, and have a smaller cut peice that I keep under the FE for cooking. We were able to move it easily anywhere we needed.
Thanks, gang... Larger wheels would be great. Harbor Freight has all kinds of pneumatic wheels, but that may be more of a winter project Big Grin So far i think a couple of 3x3 plywood handipanels are a good compromise. Not too heavy and bulky, but big enough to make moving it fairly easy.
quote:
Originally posted by cronyism sucks:
It would be nice if the FEC line had the option of selecting larger pneumatic casters or the regular ones.

Won't happen, you'll have to make that mod yourself. The UL/NSF listing requires those and they wouldn't certify it with bigger/different tires (according to what CS told me).

You can go out and change them, there are lots of after market tires/caster that would work. That's what I'm going to do, just haven't had time to rework it.
Last edited by Former Member
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
quote:
Originally posted by cronyism sucks:
It would be nice if the FEC line had the option of selecting larger pneumatic casters or the regular ones.

Won't happen, you'll have to make that mod yourself. The UL/NSF listing requires those and they wouldn't certify it with bigger/different tires (according to what CS told me).

You can go out and change them, there are lots of after market tires/caster that would work. That's what I'm going to do, just haven't had time to rework it.

I knew there was a good reason!
Last edited by Former Member
What benefit does the UL/NSF listing provide for competitive cookers?
Couldn't there be a non-UL/NSF model offered by cookshack for competitors sold under an alternate PN#/Model#?
Is the ratio of competitive cookers that also use their FEC for vending that much larger than those who strictly compete?
I had them weld some eye bolts on to the base of my FEC. My original goal was to use them as tie downs. (Eddy gave me the idea from his Joey Lift he had on his coach.) I leave a riggers strap on my cooker for ease of moving it. I can roll it around on grass by myself with this strap hooked to the eye bolts. When moving with the straps, it also keeps it from being top heavy and want to fall over. The strap is maybe 5 foot long material like the tie downs are made of. But way more heavy duty. They sell them at Grainger. I use the 2 eye bolts that are on the hopper end. It also allows me to get my FEC up my ramp into the back of my RV.

Scottie

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.