Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Smoke101

I just got my SM066 Monday. Have seasoned and done two smokes since. The probe is very accurate and will stop cooking and go into hold mode if you aren't there to take it out. For cooking purposes, No you don't need a wireless thermometer. If however you would like to monitor the temp of the meat while it's cooking from inside the house then yes, you will need to buy a wireless. You can go out and look to see the current temp at any time but you have to be at the smoker to do that.

JP
Doesn't have to be wireless, but a remote thermometer will buy you a couple of things.

1. What temp the meat is. If you don't have one, you have to open the door, stick the meat, wait, check the temp, close the door, let the unit come back up to temp. EVERY time you open the door to check, it let's heat out

If you're lookin'...you're not cookin'

2. If you have 2, you can monitor the smoker temp (what IS the real internal temp of the smoker).

After you get years of experience, take good notes and learn your cook times, you'll rely less on one, but having a temp probe is a very help thing to help you with the learning curve of a new smoker.

Someone did point out to me, the question was about AQ's. My response was more generic, to any smoker.

With an AQ, IF you're using the meat probe, it will give you temps of the meat and the LCD will tell you the smoker.

I WOULD verify all of them with an external thermometer occassionally.
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.