Skip to main content

Hi all. I'm the pround owner of a new 008 unit. I've been smoking babybacks on my gas grill using indirect heat for a few years with good results (so may neighbors say anyway) and decided to move up to a real smoker.

I have always used a vineagar mop on the ribs but haven't used it on my first few batches in the 008. THe ribs were great but I kind of miss that tangy flavor from the mop.

Any ideas ? It appears most posts on the forum for newbies like me say not to mop.

Thanks !
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Congratulations and welcome.. The 008 was my first. Then I bought an Amerique. I love the 008 enough that I still use it FAR more than the AQ.

Have you read the Ribs 101? Lots of good info there. SmokenOkie has a vinegar combo that is good.. but I like the Kansas City style BBQ the best.

Nothing wrong with mopping. Dont' think you need it because the 008 cooks so moist.. but, you can do it.. maybe strain it and spritz with a kitchen sprayer. Downside of mopping/spritzing is that every time you open the box it takes about 30 minutes to recover the temp... so, each time you open the box you add that much time to your overall cook. If you plan for that.. and you like the vinegar mop.. you won't be disappointed.

KEEP GOOD RECORDS of everything you do from cook to cook.. and good smokin
Smokenque,
I'm intrigued by your comment regarding using your 008 more than your AQ. Why is that? Is it because you know the 008 better than the AQ? Is it because the quantity of food you smoke is better suited to the 008? I've read where a full smaller unit is more temperature consistent than a partially filled larger unit?
The reason I ask is that I keep going back and forth in my mind about these exact two units.
Thanks for takin' the time
Mike
quote:
Originally posted by E.Michael:
Smokenque,
I'm intrigued by your comment regarding using your 008 more than your AQ. Why is that? Is it because you know the 008 better than the AQ? Is it because the quantity of food you smoke is better suited to the 008? I've read where a full smaller unit is more temperature consistent than a partially filled larger unit?
The reason I ask is that I keep going back and forth in my mind about these exact two units.
Thanks for takin' the time
Mike

Nope, Love'em both. My first was the 008. It's a great size for the family and up to about 10 guests.. IMO.

I'm a Cabela's card holder.. and I had enough points to get an AQ for free.. and I did. It sits on the back porch.. mostly unused unless I'm cooking a couple of turkeys or a bunch of TriTips.

Heck, now I have more than enough points to get another AQ.. I have too many clothes and don't need any more fishing tackle. Maybe I should go into the smoker business.. get'em for free and sell them. What a concept.

Actually, I'm thinking of getting the 009.. to match the AQ.. then sell the 008

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.