Skip to main content

I special ordered a 009 with 220 VAC and it arrived on 1 April with the help of the USAF. This is not an April Fool's Day joke. I'm in the USAF and a friend in DC put it on a plane for me. When I cured the smoker, it popped a 25 amp CB at least 5 times. My wife was slightly upset to say the least. Frowner I had to switch out the British style plug it came with, but the unit finally started working when it warmed up to 190 degrees F. Since then, I've done a Boston Butt and today ribs and hot stuffed peppers. No electrical issues since the first day. Smiler

For my pork loin ribs I did a blind taste test on my family. I made the ribs 3 different ways. One was with my rub (a variation of a recipe from Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces: 175 Make-Your-Own Sauces, Marinades, Dry Rubs, Wet Rubs, Mops, and Salsas), one with Cookshack Rib Rub, and one my wife's way. My wife cooked hers in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes in a solution of apple juice, water, garlic and red onions. They were then transferred to the smoker for a 2-hour smoke.

The results showed my wife's youngest son (the dog) liked my wife's the best. I must say they won the "tender award", but were light on the spices. I'm sure that's why the dog loved them.

My son and wife both loved my rub over Cookshack's rub. My son said they were the best ribs I ever made and my wife agreed. My wife now wants to sell my Oklahoma Joe's offset smoker we purchased last year.

Thanks Cookshack for the special order.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you ordered a 220 VAC model, the unit will have a British style plug on it. A British plug looks like a small American dryer plug. I had to cut the plug off and put on a German plug. A German plug has 2 male cylinder shaped prongs. If you have a 110 VAC unit, then you will have to run it on a transformer.

I'll send you a private message with my rub, I'm sure you will love it. I also ordered a dual remote thermometer from Maverick model, ET-72 Remote Thermometer. Do a Google search for a good price. I know Amazon.com carries them. You need a remote temperature gauge especially for pork butts, brisket, and chickens. You do not need one for ribs.

See http://www.lamaine.com/bbq/ for a great web page dedicated to a smokette. It has pictures, recipes and helpful hints. I look at it for lessons learned. I'll try and get my recipe out to you tomorrow. Check your private messsages under your profile.
Let me know when your unit arrives and how it worked.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.