Skip to main content

Well, I have been researching smokers for a while now. Finally pulled the trigger Friday and ordered a Smokette 009. It should be here either Wednesday or Friday.

I have been reading this forum and it was a big factor in my decision making process.

Karen at Cookshack answered a lot of my questions. I am really looking forward to seasoning it and I have a Boston Butt ready for it right after we finish the seasoning process.

I am really pumped! I warned my neighbor that they will be smelling smoke for a while. LOL
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Don't worry about how the book says to season it. Burn a full load of wood on full blast for a few hours, probably will take at least 8 to burn it all. The racks and shelves need not be in, nor do you need to foil anything at that time.

Next, put a drip pan under, foil the inside floor, poke a drain hole, put 4 oz. wood in the woodbox, cover the top of the woodbox with foil, put your prepared butt in with a temp probe inserted, turn up full blast and do not open the door until the butt temp hits at least 195*F.

Experiment, take good notes, have fun !

Cool
Thanks Trucky........great advice. I've been reading this forum for a while now and have read a good many of the posts for newbies prior to even placing the order on Friday.

I was just trying to decide what size to get. I hope I get it Wednesday so that I can season it Wednesday night.

I am going to do my Thanksgiving turkey on my Ducane grill since I have a lot of people coming over and I don't want them to be the first to try it. My Ducane actually does a pretty good turkey.

On Friday I will start the butt going though......an 8 pounder.
quote:
Originally posted by Chacahoula Tiger:
I can see how each smoker can have slightly different hot and cold spots due to the manufacturing process.

I wouldn't say that unless you meant to say design; its more airflow. How heat rises, so it's good to know which shelf is what temp.

Smokin'
It will hold in a cooler for a few hours and actually gain temp. I use double HD foil, then at least 1 towel, then into as small a cooler as possible.

It is not actually necessary to do so, unless you aren't ready to eat. Resting uncovered on the kitchen counter for 30 minutes works well when you are ready to pull and eat the pork.

Of course, it is always better to be a couple hours early than late !

Cool

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.