Skip to main content

Hey everyone. This is my first post to this forum. I've been researching smokers forever. I've never had one. Up until now I've been doing everything on a weber kettle and decided to finally bite the bullet and buy a real smoker. I had my eyes on the Smokette SM008 and was about ready to buy when I went to cookshack.com and couldn't find it anymore. But this turned out to be great news. The new model is the Smokette SM020 and from what I can tell it's the same thing, except wider to accommodate a full rack of ribs (my only complaint with the previous model) and with a digital thermostat. And it's only 25 bucks more. So anyway I've ordered that one with the matching cart and it should be here this week.

I've already read all the tips for new users and can't wait to throw a pork butt in there to start with. Does anyone have one of these newer models? I don't imagine so since they are so new.

Thanks,
Steve
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Before you throw your money at an ET7 use the search function and do a search for Maverick. Some love 'em some hate 'em. I'm in the letter category. Most unreliable product I've ever owned. Loses it's signal about every 2 hours or less. Contacted Maverick and they were of no help.

Just my two cents worth.
quote:
Originally posted by TaktEZ:
Before you throw your money at an ET7 use the search function and do a search for Maverick. Some love 'em some hate 'em. I'm in the letter category. Most unreliable product I've ever owned. Loses it's signal about every 2 hours or less. Contacted Maverick and they were of no help.

Just my two cents worth.

No kidding. Well I'll have to search around. The main thing I want is the remote probe so I can vedge around in the house and not go out and check the meat temp. The dual probe was also attractive. Can you recommend another? From what I remember this was the only one I found on amazon with two probes and was wireless.

Thanks.
I've been using the Maverick for about 5 years now with few problems. It will lose signal occasionally, but the others I've tried do as well. I've also had Polders and Nu-Temp and I haven't seen any overall difference in performance. They all seem to have areas of strength and weakness.
StevenC,

look at anything with reviews on the internet or a forum and you will usually see two comments about a product in those reviews. "Absolutely the best thing" or the "worst thing I have ever owned".

both of my Mavricks work fine however use the FIND tab at the top of the page and do a search on thermometer and read about others.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.