Skip to main content

I just installed a new supply fan Cookshack sent me for the firepot due to issues I was having with alot of unburned pellets.It definetely fixed that problem. They told me it puts out about 3 times more air than the original fan did. Did a 12+ hour cook on Sunday and only filled the pot maybe 1/2 full of ashes. So no problem there.
My problem now is not enough smoke. Even on low temps (160) it isn't producing enough smoke. The turkey breasts and butts I smoked on Sunday had very little smoke flavor to them. Using BBQ Delight hickory pellets.

Any suggestions?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I hate to say this but you know the more air (oxygen) you pump into that firepot, the better combustion. Smoke is the product of a lack of combustion. Ever watch a camp fire send up heavy smoke? Right up until it combusts into flames. Maybe, just maybe you have to much efficiency in that cooker and much of the smoke is being flame instead. Just thinking out loud here.
HEY! Just a thought after reading this post and my previously rant about not enough smoke. My unit was built in march, hence may have one of the fans that puts out 3 times more air? My unit has NEVER been able to hit a temp under 180 and maintain it. Anyone know the CFM,s of the fans? I might try to use a computer case fan with less rpms. I may have to do more experimenting here. Was ready to sawzall the back out of this thing and build a firebox on it lol
Is there any kind of programming change Cookshack could make to aid in the smoke by turning the fan off a little more or? From what I am reading here I may not be the only one with a problem. I cooked a couple of turkey breasts and they had very, very little smoke flavor to them. I tried cooking them at 160 for a few hours and had very little to no smoke out the smokestack.
When I open the door there is always a blazing fire in the firepot not smoldering which is what you need to get more smoke, like ZBO said.
Anyone else with a newer unit having smoke issues like StlDoc and I are having?
Thats why I was wondering if the fan had some issues or could it be the controller on the mainboard. I set mine at 140 and the temp will not go bellow 190. like the fan never stops putting air in the pot, always an angry flame lol on occasion it stops, but even after it reaches or passes the target temp by 40-50 degrees its still dropping pellets in the pot. I would think if im set at 180 and the oven temp is 230 the pellets should not be going into the pot. Kinda frustrating having to do math to cook. ya know its like, ok, 180 will hit 230 so ill set at 175 to cook at 225 etc
Doc, Harley,

Call CS and discuss it with them. As they don't monitor the forum a lot, they're rather you call them if you have a concern with your smoker, even if it's to talk to them about normal ops. If you have specific concerns, we can discuss them, but it would take CS to solve it if it's a problem with equipment.

Jim you're here in OKC and if it wasn't a busy holiday season, I'd say come buy the house and we could cook and talk Q. I give lessons all the time and I just charge a bottle of Chimay Grand Reserve Beer Big Grin

The june units don't have the new fans. I think I got the first one in Sept or so. I'm not even sure if it's in all the units going out. What it helps with isn't the smoke, but how fast it recovers from when the door is opened.

Russ
I will definetely take you up on that offer. I actually know where you live from talking with you at the class in 07, assuming you have not moved. I would love to come by with the Chimay and talk Q for a little bit. I only live a couple of miles from you. Whenever you are ready, I am.
I will send you a PM with my phone number.
Thanks for all of the replies! This forum is great. Used Smokin's Brine for Thanksgiving and everyone raved!!!

The fan has tremendously helped with the problem I had of a large quantity of unburned pellets in the pot. On a long cook I would have to empty the pot once or twice, or pellets would back up on the ramp and start the auger on fire. And, Like Smokin said, it makes up the temp quick when the door is opened.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.