Skip to main content

I picked up my new Smokette 008 yesterday and today the fun begins.
My first question (I'm sure there will be more) is why is the door handle built with a "pivot" pin rather than one solid length? I nearly bent the hinge mount trying to open it the first time before realizing the "slider" had to be moved to the right to lift the latch.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Its more or less a child safety feature. That way when you are enjoying "set it and forget it" BBQ while watching the game and drinking a cold one, young ones cant go and ruin your afternoon!
Just my .02

It may also help provide a tighter seal. I dont know about that one though. Thats why I wrote this outside of my .02.
Well, I am glad the latch is the way it is. Although we may all be able to put the fear of the BBQ gods into our own kids, there is always the rest of the neighborhood kids out there. And ts not always the kids.........I once caught the neighbor boys DAD trying to sneak a peak at what was going on inside the little black box. I watched him for about a minute through the window before he caught me catching him. We both started busting a gut, and i told him I'd bring him some over when it was done.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.