Skip to main content

I have just burned in a new SM-025, now I have a pary this weekend and want to cook 6 racks of ribs and an 9 lb flat brisket. Food needs to be available by 2 or 3. I don't know when or how to start, probably bitting off too much.I was thinking starting the brisket at 5:00am (225f)and cook for ~6 hours, wrap in foil and start the ribs (adding more wood?)? hopefully be done ~2:30?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think the time on the brisket flat is close. I have been cooking a few flats, and 4 to 5 hours at 250 is about right for 6 to 7 pds. I haven't seen to many 9lb flats in my neighborhood.

I think your going to fall short on the ribs. If they are St. Louis, which is all I cook now, mine are getting done after 4 hours at 250.

I don't think your leaving yourself enough time on the ribs. These are estimates of course, and everyone is going to say there are to many variables.

Here is what I would do. Start at 5:00am, but you got to get those ribs in by 10:00am. So if the brisket isnt done at 10:00 pull it and finish it in the oven. Yes you will need to add more or different wood. I would smoke the brisket with mesquite and the ribs with hickory and cherry, but that's just me.
If you get a ribrack, it'll be much easier. Like Padrefan said, I think you'll need more time for both the brisket and the ribs. What kind are you cooking? Loinbacks or Spares? That'll make a difference on cook times.

But you can't go by time, when you start getting to the end of your cook time do the toothpick test on the ribs and use a probe to do the same on the brisket.
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
Oh my Smokin', we are talking about foil and a oven....lord help me! I guess we can use a crock pot, liquid smoke, and make stew/bbq?

I agree it is not ideal. But it's a solution to a problem. Finishing in an oven is a practical solution. One, I am sure the industry uses quite frequently. But you go ahead and offer your solution. Or, you can quote advice that has no value or meaning in this situation.

Some of us cooks don't mind taking risks. I have served dishes to guests for the first time, many times. Usually with great success. We are talking about guests. We are not trying to win a competition or impress judges.

I am sure the O.P. appreciates your comments. Nice contribution.
Yes - You can cook it the day before, FTC for a few hours and them cool it down and refrigerate. Re-heat the day just prior to serving. I would recommend reheating covered in a pan, fat side down and add a little beef broth or apple juice to the bottom of the pan. Maybe at 200-250 degrees for a couple of hours.

Don't try to mess with some "partial cook" business... it may work, but not worth it.

As much as I like to do everything on the pit... If you are going to foil ribs, brisket, butt whatever... then it doesn't matter where you finish it. It will not get more smoke in foil (probably won't take more smoke after an internal temp of 140-160 anyway) and you are just "cooking" it. So if space is an issue, start the brisket foil it and finish in the oven and start your ribs. I've got no problem with that! I doubt it'll affect results much. I've done this many times with high volume cooks and honestly it works great.

Other issue - cooking for a party the first time... GO FOR IT. If you do your brisket the day before you have the advantage of a little taste test and so you know if it's any good for the party (you could always cook another, or more ribs the next day).

Many will tell you not to do something new when it "counts". I see the wisdom in this, however even a "bad cook" on your SM025 will be some of the best Q people will ever have.

Take pictures and let us know how it turns out!

Nordy
I appreciate all of the help, can't wait to get smoking... A new twist, the invite list just climbed to 18 (and growing). I have a 8.71lb brisket and 17 lb of st louis cut ribs ... is that enough for a group that size? I'm thinking it is but not sure....I'm thinking right now to precook the brisket the day before and have all day to do the ribs...
I think you should be fine. I'd cut the ribs into 3 rib sections, that'll give you 24 pieces and I think you should get 20-24 servings out of the brisket. Plus your other sides to fill them up.

If you get your rib rack in time, I'd start your brisket early morning say 5:00 at 250, then get your ribs in at 10:00 and add a chunk or two of wood. When your brisket hits 190, start checking for doneness. Every half hour or so is fine, no need to check every 5 minutes. When it's done, FTC it. Start checking the ribs around 1:30-1:45 for doneness. If you're going to sauce them, I'd do it on the grill for about 5 minutes flipping a few times. Careful you don't burn the sauce.

If you don't get the rib rack in time, go with plan B.
I think you are going to need some pretty hearty sides to ensure you have enough. Unless half of your 18 are women and children, you will be fine. If they are all men, I think your going to be short.

If your going to smoke one brisket might as well smoke 2. Don't bring out the second until the first one is gone, if it never comes out you have some pretty decent left overs.
The group will be 1/2 men 1/2 woman, probably pick up a second brisket. A question, if I have 2 8-9 lb flats, will they cook the same as 1? Also, I see some cook at 225F, some at 250F. How does that effect the final product? will the lower temp be smokier? Will one be moister then the other?

btw .. I got the Cookshack rack, not bad
I can only answer the part about cook times. Yes they will cook about the same time as one, however no two briskets are alike and one might even finish well ahead of the other. I probe both if I'm doing two briskets. I've always smoked at 225 for all my port butts/briskets in my SM040 so someone else will have to answer as to using highter temps. From what I remember, I don't believe you will notice much difference in taste or smoke flavor. We will see what the more experienced members have to say. Jer

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.