Skip to main content

Gotta love it...have looked at them for two years and resisted...my wife came through big timeSmiler

First try today...did just a small rack of ribs this morning while cooking a 5lb butt. Had a nice rib lunch (a bit heavy on the smoke - first lesson learned)...now waiting another hour or so for the butt. should be a fun first effort, but I can tell that practice will be good for me, adkins friendly (relatively) and this forum is great. Thanks to all who proceeded me for some info already learned reading through.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, finished up my first attempt. Ribs were very good...fell off the bone nicely...I think I used two much smoke though. Put about 6oz in (3 small chunks. Probably a common new guy error...it just doesn't seem like much wood. Now that I've been reading a lot of forum posts though, I'm learning. The butt tasted good...took almost 12 hrs and didn't quite qet to 190 so next time I'll adjust a bit - I think I know the solution. That's all for now. Good Q-ing to all in 2005!!
Sean
Congrats on the new cooker and the first cook! As another new guy, I'm learnign, too, but 6 oz of wood does sound like too much. For my fist butt I used 4 oz for a 8 1/2 lb butt, and that was pretty good. For my first ribs, I only used 2 oz and that may have been too much for my wife, but was fine for me.
Welcome to the forum. Remember, these units are efficent...you really want to start out low with the wood. Another thing is that I hardly use hickory anymore. I find it way too strong for my taste.....at least straight hickory. I like oak, pecan, apple , cherry, and most fruit woods. Now I do mix hickory with these other woods from time to time though. When I first started, I weighed my wood to get a true feel for just how much wood I was using per smoke. Not saying that this is what you need to do but it sure put things in to prospective for me. Do a search and you will find that this subject has come up very often. Try new things and keep good notes and you will get there.

Good luck, Doc
Zar,
I weighed the wood chunks before I put them in. I had read in here about people using a chunk or two, and couldn't believe that was right because we were used to loading it in our old smoker. Folks were saying 6 oz. of wood made their meat too strong. I thought, well, maybe they're from up north and not used to smoked meat. But these cookshack smokers don't need as much wood to get the same good smoke flavor.
As far as pulled pork goes, it pulls lots easier if you do it while pretty warm, if not hot. Tastes just as good though if you chop it when it gets cool. I usually end up with a combination of chopped and pulled.
I'm glad you're having so much fun with your new smoker!
Peggy

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.