Skip to main content

Hi my name is Jamie from Cali, Im new to the whole smokin food, i've loved smoked food my whole life,not much around here so I finally got my 009 last friday. I love this unit, my girlfriend thinks im wierd with my gas bbq, charcole bbq and now my CS. alright well this is my third smoke, did some ribs turned out the best ribs I have ever cooked, did a beer but chicken it was really good but not as good as the ribs. So today I put a 5.08 pound pork butt in at 6:30 am @ 225 the weather was about 38 deg and really fogy out, I put the butt on the middle rack and the prob for the thermometer in the middle of the meet, it's now 10:40am and the temp is reading 164, I plan on taking it to 195. So my question is does the temp of the meet seem way to high for right now I thought this would take anywhere form 10-12 hrs. Where do all of you put the prob in the meet. Also im not sure if there is a bone in the meet if that makes a differance. Any and all help or tips would be great. Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ummm, was the meat really hot when you put it in, like laying in the sun hot? Just kidding, probably the therm touching bone, or broken therm, probably the first. It will reach that plateau area way before it is done, but I think this is a little too quick! Just do a quick door open, and adjust the therm- make sure 1). it's not touching bone, and 2). it is sunk into the thickest part of the meat...you'll be fine!
Well when the meat hit about 170 it held there for a while, I pulled the meat out, at the
10 1/2 mark,192 temp then double wraped it in foil put it back in the smoker for 45 min, then pulled it out and let set for 25 min, turned out really good for the first one.Next time want to mix apple and hickory wood.I looked at All other smokers before I bought my Cookshack and I know this is deffentally the best one.
Make sure the pork butt or the rack is not comming into contact with the thermo couple probe on the back wall of the smoker.

I think this happened to me during my last smoke as I had the same symptoms with the temperature. Also my drip pan recieved much more water than normal and the meat turned out very dry.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.