Skip to main content

Every year I cook Christmas lunch for everybody out here at the plant. Last year it was prime rib cooked on the Tucker (in grill mode). This year I want to do everything on the FEC100. Figure 1 FE will do baked spuds and I'll use the other to do whole NY strips. The Nomad can finish off steaks for the medium to rare folks (not many of these!). Since most people out here do prefer the meat well-done, it seemed to me that a whole strip would hold moisture better than doing individual steaks. Am I right? I'm concerned about seasoning though. A whole strip will only be seasoned on the outside. If I marinate how long could these stay in?

Thanks for any assistance!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

When I do these on my Traeger, I remove all The fat and silverskin. Then rub with a mixture of kosher salt, cracked pepper granulated garlic, and cumin. cover with plastic wrap and let sit in the frige for a couple of hours. About an hour before cooking, I take out of frige and let the meat come to room temp.(?) Sear on all sides then place in smoker set at 180*. Cook to an internal temp of 120-122* for rare, 125-130* for medium rare. Remove from smoker, wrap in foil and place in a cooler rinsed out with hot water. Let rest for 20 minutes (or longer) slice about 1/2 inch thick, and serve.
I sear them on a griddle to get a little color and crust. Also forgot to tell you to tie at 1 inch intervals with butcher twine as you would for a roast. This gives the meat a nice shape rather than looking like a flat blob.
Will be in the market for 4-600 lbs of pellets after the first of the year. About how much can I expect to pay delivered to Portland, Oregon?
Regards, Lou
Candy,

I have cooked several whole prime rib roasts and the whole strip loin should cook about the same. I have only cooked them in the oven, but the FEC is just a big oven with smoke, so it should be similar. I sear the meat first. I have done this on a griddle on top of the stove but this is messy. Lately, I set the oven at 550 degrees with convection and roast for ten minutes then lower to 225 to finish. Since the FEC does not go that high and since you want it to absorb smoke I would skip the searing and just cook at close to 225. You can finish it on the grill if you want the outside crisped up. As for seasoning, I cover the outside of the roast with a lot of salt and pepper. Really cake on the salt - as much as it will hold. Remember that you are only salting the edge of what will be the slices so it takes a lot of salt. Also, the salt forms a crust that tends to hold the moisture in. Let is sit for about 1/2 hour before cooking. You can add garlic or other spices, but they are not needed. Cook to an internal temperature of 128 for mostly med-rare, higher for more well done. Since you are cooking at low temp, carryover cooking will be minimal so the internal temp should not rise much during the rest time. Hope that this helps.

Mike
Lou, you'd do better ordering 1000#. Send me your zip code (candy-at-bbqrsdelight.com) and I'll get a quote. Can tell you now that the freight will be more than the pellets.

Thanks for the tips y'all. Searing is not really an option. #1 -- I'm feeding 50 men-folk who eat mass quantities. I could kinda sear on the Nomad (it goes up to 500+) then transfer to the FE. Problem is lack of grate space.

I'm hooked on HomeBBQ's garlic lovers and black jack seasoning for beef. Was considering using up all those little, bitty bottles of Allegro that seem to multiply after contests to marinate.
Just as a final report to close this topic...

I cooked 6 whole beef loins. The night before I rubbed with Allegro, sprinkled HomeBBQ's garlic lovers blend liberally. Wrapped them up in plastic and let rest. Next morning, I sprinkled with Black Jack seasoning and put in the FEC100 at 250 (pecan pellets). 3 hours later they were at 125 degrees. Pulled them out then and sliced 1" thick. Got about 15 steaks out of each loin. Finished the steaks off on my Nomad pellet grill at 500 degrees to 140 internal (black walnut pellets). I didn't season the sliced steaks, but they'd have been better if I had.

I also cooked 50 baked potatoes in the other FE at 300 degree setting. Got them done and warmed garlic bread.

A fine feed for 50+ folks.

Merry Christmas everybody!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.