Skip to main content

Made the trip to Hillsboro yesterday to meet with the builders of the FE controller. They are not sure at all why my smoke setting was hitting 290. I left with another 225 controller to try.

Spoke with Dick Taylor about adding the 225 setting for other FE owners. He has maybe a dozen plates with the 225 setting. The chip change is not a problem and he has a number of replacement chips. Dick is willing to assist any FE owner with modifying their controller to the 225 setting. Simply send $50.00 and the controller to:

Dick Taylor
Ortech Industries, Inc.
1982 N.E. 25th Street, #5
Hillsboro, Oregon 97124
Telephone 503-640-1607
FAX 503-640-0274

Real nice folks at Ortech. Apparently they are not building the controllers for Traeger anymore. Another firm from the midwest lowballed a bid from Traeger and got the business. Dick told me that the bid was lower than his cost of the parts.

This is an opportunity for everyone that wants to trade the 180 setting for the 225 setting.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I believe you can order a new digital controller from the Traeger site, I did. Then you could have Ortec modify it to 225 and you would have a backup. The digital controller and a probe is $189 on the Traeger website.

But I would give Dick a call. Maybe he can assist you with a new unit instead of just the modification.
This is a 6 year old post. With all the problems with those controllers, that's why CS with went the IQ controller.

I personally think it's a waste to pay money to modify it for such a small change. The difference between 240 and 225 isn't enough to spend the money on... but that's just me.
Man,

RED used to be the fastest, but the Green in the new waterproof has been confirmed as the fastest.

Stuart sent me a Blue one, but it's real slow. I think it's because it's Kansas Jayhawk blue which won't work unless you're in KS.

I'm still waiting for my chrome version to be made,

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.