Skip to main content

I finally decided to order an FEC-100. It should be here by next weekend hopefully. I've had a Traeger Lil Tex for several years so I'm already familiar with smoking using pellets. I'm definitely looking forward to the extra space I'll have with the FEC, though. I plan to keep the Traeger to have as a grill and for the additional flexibility.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Yellow-03:
... I've had a Traeger Lil Tex for several years so I'm already familiar with smoking using pellets...

Actually you'll see a huge difference in pellet usage. The insulation alone will make a difference. Did you get the IQ also?

Congrats on the purchase and definitely keep the Lil tex around for grillin' Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
Actually you'll see a huge difference in pellet usage. The insulation alone will make a difference. Did you get the IQ also?

Congrats on the purchase and definitely keep the Lil tex around for grillin' Big Grin

Yes, the IQ4 controller, and a cover. I didn't order a meat probe since I'm already used to using another thermometer with the Traeger. Between it and my Thermapen I think I'm set there.

My wife actually said to me "You're not getting rid of the Traeger are you?" We've really enjoyed it over the years and we've shared many great meals with family and friends from it. She never liked cooking on a gas grill so it's a keeper.

My biggest gripe with the Lil Tex is capacity. I know that problem is solved with the FEC-100. Reduced pellet usage will certainly be a nice added benefit.
Well now,I'd be talking that Little Tex up real good ,around the neighborhood,and never say a bad word.

Next year,when you are moving it around and wonder why you are tying up space, for something you never use,you'll need a buyer.

Maybe ,offer to throw in a couple bags of Traegar pellets,if they pick it up right away.

Right now,you'll flinch,but next year.look back at this post. Big Grin
My FEC arrived. So far I've only had opportunity to cook a few quick things. Hopefully this weekend will allow a longer cook of ribs or pork butt.

One thing I was never able to do well on the Traeger was cook pizza. While I was experimenting running up the temperature I put a pizza on the 2nd rack down from the top. It came out perfect, with perfectly browned crust and cheese, and a touch of smoke flavor. Score a win in the pizza department.

I also smoked a few ribeye steaks. They have a tendency to be a little tough when slow cooked and this was no exception, but the flavor was great and all enjoyed them. There was about half of one steak left over, and my son finished it the next day at lunch.

The pellet usage seems very much reduced over the Traeger. No scientific measurement, just my observation. Once at temp, it seems to go forever just dropping a few pellets every 15 seconds keeping the fire burning. The temps hold stable within just a few degrees. I was surprised at how little heat is actually lost when you open the door. I was expecting the temps to drop fast with the big door, but that is not actually the case. Temp recovery is quick, too. Very nice.

Now on to a longer cook...
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow-03:
...The pellet usage seems very much reduced over the Traeger...

We've actually discussed that in the path.

Main reasons:

1. The CS is insulated, the Traeger is not
2. The IQ controller is smart, the Traeger is not. It will run more efficiently than the Traegers. The Traeger controller has more fluctuation in temps, but just a little.
Last night about 10pm I put on a 7lb brisket flat from Sam's Club, rubbed with Cookshack Brisket Rub. I just pulled it at 8:30am at 195F after a 10-1/2 hour cook... right at 1-1/2 hours per pound. Looks great!

I set it to cook at 180F for 2 hours then hold at 224 until done. This was the first time to try this on the FEC and it worked as expected. Cooker temps held very stable. When I checked at 6am it was 228F, and when I pulled at 8:30 the cooker temp was 224F. It used just a handful of pellets it seems... really hardly even a dent in the pellets in the hopper. That part is amazing.

My FEC is getting a nice Bronze color on the inside, and it smells good just to open its door.

Update: Couldn't wait until lunch to try it out Wink Went ahead and sliced and all liked it. Perhaps one of my best briskets yet, and certainly a great start with a new FEC-100. The rub was just a bit salty for my taste, so I sprayed with apple juice to cut it a bit. That was the finishing touch. Lunch is going to be good!
Last edited by yellow-03
I got two cryovac packages of Spare Ribs from Sam's Club over the weekend (3 racks each), and prepared the first package on Monday.

I trimmed them St. Louis style, dry rubbed and let sit in the fridge for about 4 more hours, then put them in the FEC-100 at noon. I used the hold feature at 180F for two hours, then raised to 224F until done around 5:30pm. During the last hour I glazed a couple times with a 50/50 mixture of my favorite sauce and apple juice. Since it wasn't quite serving time, I turned the heat back down (and opened the door to dump some stored heat) to hold until serving time at 6:30. At various points during the afternoon I pulled off the trimmings for some cook's choice pork candy.

Everything went great. The guests were friend's of my oldest son, and there wasn't a single bite of ribs left! All want to come back again for more.

I'm cooking the other 3 racks this weekend.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.