Skip to main content

I loaded my Smokette 08 at this time yesterday with a 14# brisket on the bottom and a big pork picnic roast on the middle (went almost to the top). The brisket (I placed it fat-side down to buffer against the heating element) reached 190 around 2:00 pm today. But here it is 24 hours later and the picnic is at 175. I've moved the temp probe around and double-checked with my instant-read thermo. It feels very tender to the 'poke with the temp probe' test.

Any input? I have another brisket and two butts to put in tomorrow so I hope it goes quickly. Thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Jack--great call! After I read your reply last night I pulled it out and all the fat off the surface had rendered out. I wiggled the bone and it was very loose--it twisted and pulled right out. All the sections came apart easily as did the other bones.

That baby was ready--maybe overcooked a tad but still very moist and sweet. And the temp was consistent throughout. I'm not sure why the temp wouldn't rise--maybe due to the extended cook and subsequent loss of moisture? Either way I'm sure glad you reminded me of the "pull-the-bone" technique.

---------------------------

On a sidenote, since the drip pan I use is rather small I had to empty it once during the cook to prevent it from spilling over. I noticed that during the first half of the cook most (90%) of the drip pan was full of juice--not fat (it didn't congeal even in the below-freezing temps). But the second half of the cook rendered 95% fat and only a little juice.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.